chicks leg HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stephanie1992, Dec 28, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted this in Raising chicks section also

This chick hatched with its leg curled behind it and its toes are messed up to. it cant stand up and just lays there. what can i do to help its leg??

[​IMG]

2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    If its not broken, i think it would be okay to wrap it with vet rap to try and staiten it out. Hope it all works out! Keep us posted on the little guy! Good luck!

3. stephanie1992

Quote:ok thank u ill try that. its not broken. it can move it. when it came out of the egg some yellow stuff was wrapped around this leg. ill post how it does

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Has the chick tried to stand/walk, or even move about? How does it do? If you try very gently to move the leg, can you move it into its correct position? If you are able to move it, maybe the treatment for splayed or spraddle leg will work. Here is a link with step-by-step instructions. http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html I hope someone with more experience will come along soon for you. In the meantime, it might help to give us as many details as you can about how the chick and leg move.

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:ok thank u ill try that. its not broken. it can move it. when it came out of the egg some yellow stuff was wrapped around this leg. ill post how it does

It's a good sign that the leg can move, so hopefully you can straighten it out [​IMG]

6. stephanie1992

Quote:its trying to stand now. i can move the leg to the correct position but it just goes back. im ganna make a splint to hold it in place.thank u for the info [​IMG]

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    please keep us posted and let us know how you make out - good luck!

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  9. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Athletic tape and popsicle sticks may help,

Athletic tape adheres to itself

Oh, poultrypedia.com may have some useful vet info

10. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Do some physical therapy with a pencil. Push the feet with the pencil against the chicks body in the correct position as if it were perching on a stick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by