Chick's leg limp

Buzzlee

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
Anson, Maine
When checking on my chicks this morning I found one with a completely limp leg. Unable to stand. She is 1 of the 12 I ordered from an online hatchery. So I had her vaccinated for merreks and since I've had them also gave Newcastle vaccine. They are almost 6 weeks now. They have been confined in a 4 by 8' room so not to catch anything from wild birds. The only thing I can think of that may have caused this is landing wrong off the 18" or 8" high roosts I gave them. They have a 3" layer of shavings, medicated starter and water at all times. I matched the light timers with outdoors and have the room set to max temp of 75'.

Any suggestions?
I put vetrap around it to keep it in a natural position. Set her alone by a food and water dish so she doesn't have to walk. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thanks but she has passed. She went into a seizure and when she stopped she was stiff as a board. I wonder if she didn't get properly vaccinated at the hatchery.

That is of some concern. You may want to post about her in detail at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread to see if they think she may have had Mareks

Back
Top Bottom