Chick's leg problem - can't stand or walk

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
My chick had some trouble hatching and was only able to limp around. He mostly lays on his stomach. I gave him electrolytes and vitamins and made him a hobble. No good. I put him in a cup overnight, and this morning he was no better, just weak. I've been feeding him baby parrot food, and because they started to pick at him in the brooder, I've had him in my shirt most of the afternoon. He's pepped up a lot with the parrot food, but the issue has become clear. One leg seems to work fine. The other is very contused and swollen, and he does not support his own weight on it.

Please advise. I'd like to seem him (or her) recover.

I wish I could tell you something good. But if he can't move around, he won't get to food and water. I like the glass idea, I did that once.

I have a spraddle leg right now, I had to hobble her legs with a bandaid. But she sleeps alot, but she does get around. I will have to wait and see.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes it's just not going to work. It would be tough to have to feed a chick until.......?

I'm trying some exercise as well, I put her at the other end of the brooder, and make her walk to the warm side.

Back
Top Bottom