Chick's leg sticking out to the side- help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by all_clucked_up, Jun 21, 2011.

1. all_clucked_up

all_clucked_up Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    The first chick hatched looked perfectly healthy, until it tried to stand. One leg sticks out to the side at about a 90 degree angle. Is this normal from being all squished inside the egg, or is it a serious problem? Is there anything I can do to help?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    The only thing you can try is to treat it as splay leg and pray that works. We just had one of these and I had it wrapped for a long while and took it off and leg was still out to side [​IMG] We had to cull it...it was very hard on my hubby as it was totally normal in every other way. Poor baby! I hope it works for you!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I should have added the link for you about how to treat it also. Here ya go!
    Be sure to do it right away..the sooner you catch it the better chances you have.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41693

ETA: This really does work great. I have had to do this several times and this last time was the ONLY time it did not work. Seemed its leg was not connected 'right'. It just looked different somehow. Wish I would have gotten a picture but didn't think of it. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. all_clucked_up

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks a bunch, this is what I was planning on doing. Should I still wait for it to dry?

5. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    one of my hatching buddies is currently treating this with a bandaid holding the legs where they should be. She said it seems to be working and the chick has started sprinting around like the others.

6. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    are you sure it's splay leg and not a slipped tendon?

7. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I wrote and had an article published in Backyard Poultry Magazine (June/ July issue) about spraddle leg. I used a band aid and it works on all chicks, turkey poults and even ducklings and goslings!

A friend said she used it on a baby quail.

Whether it is a slipped tendon or spraddle leg it seems to correct or at best pull the leg in so chick can get around. good luck.

8. all_clucked_up

Jun 11, 2011
    It doesn't look like spraddle leg at all... I'll just cross my fingers the band aid will work [​IMG]

9. PHarris985

PHarris985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:I tried the same think and after taking it off leg was still bad. We culled it.

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Sometimes it just wont be able to be fixed. You did the right thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by