Chicks Legs are Lame Had to cull

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flawedatdesign, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Okay Chick is less than a day old and was in the egg to long. It's having issues with it's legs going straight back behind it and toes are curled. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Polvisol for the curl legs, but I have also read about making them a boot. I will send you the link...

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
  4. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Not having any luck it's legs go back behind him like it's laying on it's belly. When they are like that his toes are straight.

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    He may be just a defected chicken, I had a chick who's leg kept going backwards then up, after two months his leg was as high as his wing, needless to say he died but it was probably for the best seeing how he wasn't improving no matter what a tried.

have you tried the hair band on his leg? Try that and see if you can get him to stand on his legs, we can worry about the curly toes later. I would worry if you can't get him to stand on his feet his gonna end up drowning from drinking the water. I didn't even ask is he drinking and eating alright?

6. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well he is only a bit under 24 hours from being out of the egg.

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Ok, try the hair band thing, it usually works, I have had several chicks that have the legs going out behind them, most of them have stood on there feet within 8 hours or soo. Or have you tried that already? If so you have to keep the hair tie on his legs they say for at least a week but I have seen results much more quicker than that. If you dont' have a hair tie, you can also try a band aid. Personally a bandaid never worked for me but then again you never know... Do you have any Polyvisol? You can get it in the baby section of any drug store. he needs three drops per day. This is vitamins and it will really help..

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    if he's only a little under 24 hours, you don't necessary have to worry about him eating yet. I would keep him separate, what I do is get a little shoe box to put him in. Put the shoe box in with the other chicks that is if there are more, this way he is separated from the others so they can't trample on him but still close enough to hear them so he won't be alone.. Chicks hate to be alone..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. Flawedatdesign

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    DO you leave the legs straigh back try to fold them under I guess I need someone to draw it out for me.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes, you have to grab his little leg and bring it forward and put both feet into the circle of the hair tie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by