1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks legs won't stay under them.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenbob, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Chickenbob

Chickenbob New Egg

Feb 8, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have 8 chicks out of the incubator for about 2 weeks, and 4 of them are having trouble keeping their legs under them. One or both of the legs are out to the side almost all the time. Is there anything that can be done to help this situation?
    They are on mashed chick starter feed and seem to be eating and drinking normally.
    HELP!

Bob

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Are they on a slippery surface like newspaper? Put down some paper towells that will allow them to get a better grip.

Also, I have seen hobbles made of bandaids or tape that hold the legs together while they gain strangth.

[​IMG]

Do a search on "spraddle leg" for more info,

3. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    I used tape and my baby had a FIT!! She peeped and jumped around like it was killing her. What do I do then? She pecked the tape off, then I tried a band-aide, pecked that off too. If I dont do something soon, she will not ba able to walk. She is 3 days old.
    Any suggestions?
    -Theresa

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:At 2 weeks they shouldn't be having this problem.

The newspaper question is a good one, but really only matters in the first few days.

Try the strapping. It should be easier to fit at this size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by