Chicks losing the ends of their beaks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by windwalkingwolf, Jun 13, 2011.

1. windwalkingwolf

windwalkingwolf Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    I have 14 three week old hatchery chicks...brown egg layers, mixed sex, breed not specified. Within the last two weeks almost ALL of them have lost the ends of their beaks, both top and bottom, though a few have lost just the top. Not enough to impair their ability to eat and drink, but it's unsettling to look at, and although I haven't raised birds in years (and so my memory could be faulty), I don't remember this happening in the past. They appear to otherwise be healthy. I also have adult chickens, ducks, muscovies as well as ducklings and turkey poults. The new babies have been kept completely separate from the existing flocks. I thought perhaps they were breaking them on the sides of the pen (metal) however the young turkeys (also three weeks old) are all fine, and they peck at it more. Any ideas? Is this supposed to happen?
    Thanks in advance, any suggestions are welcome!
    -Jan

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, it's very unusual. I would imagine something is repeatedly injuring them. I remember (sort of) one situation like this. I believe it turned out that there was a sharp edge on the metal feeder that was getting the beaks. It was one of those long narrow trough feeders with round holes in the cover. Any chance you have one of these?

3. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    I only use the plastic feeders and waterers no sharp edges to injure the chicks, the metal can be very sharp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by