Chicks lost voice and do not eat :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lady_anar, May 9, 2019.

1. Lady_anar

Lady_anar In the Brooder

May 8, 2019
    Dear BYC friends, my hubby and I are new to raising chickens. We have two 10-week old Ameraucanas. Recently they seemed to have lost their voice! It is like they wanted to chirp but can only make raucous sound. They used to be very noise, but now they are quiet. We think it is because they are having a hard time making a sound. They have poor appetite and lost a lot of features everyday. Otherwise, they seem to be OK. Does anyone know what might be going on here? We are really worried!

Attached Files:

2. rascal66

rascal66 Songster

Sep 10, 2015
    Washington
    Is there any way you can post a video or an audio file with how they are sounding?

I'm not very experienced with troubleshooting issues as these along with eating. How is their droppings? Does it appear normal? Or watery, runny? Are they acting active or lethargic?

If everything seems okay, then maybe this is just their way of maturing and growing up perhaps. At around this age, maybe even a bit older (someone feel free to correct me), they start to lose their little chick voices as it evolves into the chicken sounds. As far as their appetite, feel their crops. The crop is typically located on the chest to their right. If they are eating well and are full, it will feel like a grainy ball. Describe how it feels, hard or mushy? Empty even?

Sorry if my advice and questions are poor. But the following questions can help others and myself figure out if your chicks are okay.

Side note, these look more like Easter Eggers? They are very pretty :)

3. Lady_anar

Lady_anar In the Brooder

May 8, 2019

Hi, thanks so much for your reply!! Your response is very helpful!! I posted a video of them here:

Their droppings look alright. They are not as active as they were before, but I would not say they are lethargic. For most of the time, their crops are empty, as they do not eat a lot. When they do, their crops feel hard.

We were told they are Ameracaunas, but we are not sure. They could be Easter Eggers. :)

4. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    They're definitely EE not pure Ameraucanas as they come in specific color varieties.

If you got your chicks from a feed store it's almost unheard of that they would get in Ameraucanas as they sell for much more than a typical feed store EE which usually sell for 3-4$. Ameraucanas can easily sell for 8-12$ each.

Lady_anar likes this.
  5. Lady_anar

Lady_anar In the Brooder

May 8, 2019

We bought them from a feed store for 6$ each. Thanks for helping us to understand our babies' breed. We are new to chickens and love them regardless of their breed. :)

6. rascal66

rascal66 Songster

Sep 10, 2015
    Washington
    In my opinion, they really sound fine to me.

I may be wrong, so anyone else can chime in with their opinions. If you're still worried, we can look at some respiratory things. Like the bedding you use, is it just pine shaving?

They seemed a bit warm in the video. If ita hot, maybe that's why they aren't eating as much? Just a guess :( sorry

Wyorp Rock, Lady_anar and sourland like this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Their actions and vocalizations appear to be normal. Has it been excessively hot where you are located ? This would explain a decrease in activity and feed consumption.

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Look pretty normal to me too.
    Where are you located?
    What's your weather like?

Wyorp Rock and Lady_anar like this.
  9. Lady_anar

Lady_anar In the Brooder

May 8, 2019

Thanks for replying! We are in Seattle, the weather is about 80 outside with a lot of sunshine. If this is already too hot for them, I am wondering how we are gonna spend the summer. :p Good news that they seem normal! :)

rascal66 and Texas Kiki like this.
  10. Lady_anar

Lady_anar In the Brooder

May 8, 2019

Thanks so much for helping me out! :) Glad to know that they sound normal. We use pine shaving. The weather is like 80 outside and they do seem to feel hot. If that explains the reduced food consumption, I feel much relieved now.

Texas Kiki likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: