Chicks Maturing at much diffrent rates?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Joe.G, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, me and two friends split a order of 33 Chicks ( Pullets ) from Hoover, I have eight of them some Easter Eggers some Barred Rocks and some Black Sex links, Mine have quite a bit of size to them along with quite a bit of wing feathers, My are maturing much faster then the other birds that my friends have. We are all feeding Med chick starter feed. Just wondering if you guys have seen this before.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Are your friends chicks the same breeds as yours? Different breeds grow at different rates...if so...

Are there differences in your brooders? such as heat? access to food? space?

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    It an depend on the conditions in which the chicks are raised, even if they're eating the same food. I've had two lots of chickens - the first group spent the beginning of their lives free ranging every day, while the second lived in their brooder for a few weeks to begin with. The second group grew much faster. :lol:

4. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    The only one that I kept that was bigger was one of the Black Sex Links, the rest were all the same size. The breeds are growing a little slow between them selves, The EE are bigger then the Barred Rocks, The Black sex links are about the same size as the Barred Rocks except for one of the Sex Links who is the biggest of them all.

Yes we all have the same chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by