Chicks may be eating some of the laying pellets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dhansen, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dhansen

dhansen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2007
    When I let me chicks out in the morning, I let the big girls out in the run. There are always some laying pellets left on the ground and iIthink the little girls might be eating it too. Will this hurt them? They have the chick crumbles available, but I know they are getting some of the big girl food.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    this is a good question...mine do the same. The mommas discourage them from the feeders and the chicks will eat wherever mom does. I wonder what folks here have to say about it...I'll keep an eye out on this thread!!!

I heard that it's harmful to them if they go into laying cycle too early...bad for reproduction organs or some such. My question is...what do folks here do when the mommas have chicks. I have a special chick feeder but the mommas are bantys and they are Teeny Tiny and they too eat the chick pellets. Huh? Should I bring them in and separate them from mom early on or leave well enough alone? Moms teach them how to get along so I know that's not a good idea...I get confused about this same question---obviously!

Thanks for bringing it up...although I could...I hope folks here can help answer some of our questions. LOL!

~C:->

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    A few layer pellets every now and then won't hurt the chicks. Just make sure they are not eating a lot and ignoring their regular chick starter.

Mama can eat the chick starter along with the babies. It has nothing in it that will harm her. She won't be laying for a while anyway so not having the extra calcium isn't an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by