Chicks & Meal Worms!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swatskee, Apr 25, 2011.

1. swatskee

swatskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    We gave our 3 week old chicks a couple meal worms this weekend and lets just say WOW!

Meal Worms = Chicken Crack!

I never, in the 3 weeks I've had these little gals, ever seen them so attentive! Every time I go back to the brooder they look at me like, worms?? Hih? huh? It was big fun and they loved it.

I had to increase the size of the brooder from 18"x48" up to 36" x 48" because they are getting sooooo big and needed the extra room to play. The original brooder seemed like the perfect size but with the water, food, and roost it waw just too small. They love when you pour a little food and a tiny bit of chick grit on a brick.

I added a 3' roost as well and they love hanging out on it. I even build a "sand box" and let them play in it for a little last night and they was big fun too!

Here's a picture of the new brooder
    [​IMG]

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I want to get some but they're always sold out at Lowes. [​IMG] Where did you get the mealworms? Great pic, btw!

3. swatskee

swatskee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    Petco has them by the snakes & frogs [​IMG] for a few $. I think I paid like $3-4 for 35 live meal worms. They also have the freeze dried but I wouldn't imagine those to have much nutritional valule?? They were $9

4. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I don't know how much they are, but TSC also has bags of meal worms (dead I think).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by