1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks moving into coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by junkman56, Sep 28, 2016.

1. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

hello, I have a question on getting the bedding ready in my coop for when I transfer the chicks from the brooder to the coop. is it safe to add DE in the bedding ( pine shavings ) for the young chicks? and how much should I sprinkle around, this is all new to me. I have the nesting boxes closed off so the chicks will not roost in them. also I plan on putting in the bedding some fresh rosemary and lavender. I look forward to your suggestions and comments.

thank you

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think the herbs is a good idea. It doesn't matter how much DE you add. Just don't overdo it.
    Don't overthink this. People have been raising chickens on pine shavings a long time without any of those accoutrements.
    The main thing is stocking density.

3. junkman56

thanks for you reply, I just want to make sure they don't get mites and lice,

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not to start a DE debate, but DE is not safe to use with Chickens....
    I would never use it....I use Dusting powder along all edges of my coop and put bedding over the powder....Once a month I dust the roost....I use sand in my Coop and Run....Less cost and easier to clean...

Cheers!

5. junkman56

thank you.... do you use the dust in your dust bath also. how thick of sand do you put down in your coop,

6. junkman56

what do you mean by ( stocking density )

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by