Chicks near Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Lady Henevere, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Lady Henevere

Lady Henevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    Please help me, BYC'ers. I'm trying to build a very small backyard flock (4 chickens) and I'm having trouble finding chicks! I can't order 25 from one of the big hatcheries, and mypetchicken is back-ordered for months for some of the breeds I'd like. I hear Belt Hatchery (Fresno) won't let you stop by in person to pick up a few chicks (I left them a message but they haven't called me back yet). I can't seem to find info on where else I can go to pick up a few chicks. Any ideas? (I'm willing to drive to other counties!) Or I'd be happy to share an order with someone -- anyone near L.A. need 21 or more chicks?

Thanks much for any info!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My feed store orders chicks from Privett and one other hatchery I can't remember. I can place orders for specific breeds with them and they will include what I want with their next order. Makes it super easy for me.

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Lady Henevere,

I'm north of LA and in the same predicament.

New to chickens and want 4-5 (husband says 3, but we're negotiating...)

I definitely want one EE and perhaps a Buff Orpington as reliable layers. Have my heart set on a Silkie but know it will be hard to justify. Looking to round out with two of the following: Cochin, Salmon Faverolle, Plymouth Rock, Dorking, d'Uccle or a Polish. Want pullets only as neighbors will not appreciate a rooster.

Thought I had it all figured out and then learned that the local feed store was sold out. I wanted to have chicks by April 10, but if that's not possible I have to wait until after June 6 due to travel.

I'm going to be calling around LA/Ventura area today but if I don't find anything and you want to share an order, let me know.

4. Lady Henevere

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    Bawk -- I'd be happy to share an order. Do you know of any hatcheries that will ship less than 25? Or maybe the feed store will order some for us if they need more too, as Potterwatch suggests? (Potterwatch, are you in SoCal? If so, which feed store do you use?)

I ordered some from mypetchicken, but they won't be coming until June -- if I find something sooner I can cancel that one. (I am a little concerned about having only 4 chicks shipped all the way across the country....)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    There are several feed stores in San Bernardino, Norco, Mira Loma, Riverside, etc. You can go to the yellow pages online and pull up feed stores near you. Several feed stores near me aren't getting chicks in 'til mid April, so call first to save yourself a trip! I personally prefer Kendall Feed in San Bernardino (near the 215/University Pkwy...by Cal-State, San Bernardino). I have feed stores within a few miles of me, but drive 40 mins to go there since the guy who runs (owns?) it know his stuff about chickens! AND you can always guarantee he will be there, which is great if you have questions. Our first 6 chicks are from there and they are now 1.5 yrs old and VERY healthy! We intend to get a few Welsummer chicks from him in mid-April too.

6. Lady Henevere

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    Excellent info, Barker -- thank you. I will make some calls tomorrow.

7. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I am in south los angeles county, right on the oc boarder. There is a great feed store that gets shipments every few weeks from Red Wing hatchery in Lancaster. They only order sexed pullets. They usually get an extensive variety and will also special order. He charges $2.00 each. I love this place. I didn't find it until I started searching for organic feed. I had done the 25 chick order with a group back in Jan/ Feb. I will use this feed store in the future and avoid the hassels. It is near Westminster off the 405 near Beach Blvd. and Bolsa.

Midway City Feed Store
    (714) 893-2613
    14941 Jackson St.
    Midway City, CA

This is what you can find online about the hatchery: RED WING HATCHERY: A family farm hatching, and growing free range, heritage poultry since 1915. Birds are naturally breeding, no artificial insemination. This farm hatches on site and offers both pick-up and shipping/delivery. Fowl include, chickens, turkeys, guineas, geese, ducks etc... For more information, please call: 1-661-946-2830 or toll-free 1-866-888-8277. This farm is located in Lancaster, California.

My local feed store also gets pullet chicks regularly, but the prices start at $5.00 and go up to about $12.00 for specialty breeds/ bantams. They also carry red sexlinked and leghorn point of lay pullets sometimes.

Blacksmith's Corner
    17647 Lakewood Blvd
    Bellflower, CA 90706
    (562) 531-0386
    South of the 91 Fwy, a few miles West of the 605

I put an add on craigslist and here to do the group order and I got a flood of responses from folks. I met some nice people in the process. The only hard part was, temporarily I had 50 chicks at my house + I had to deal with the DOAs and the weak and a few dying ones. The shipment was stuck at the PO an extra day and they didn't all make it the first time. Welp Hatchery customer service was fabulous, I got great chicks, and they reshipped the DOAs no problems/ no packing roosters. If you don't find a good place near by, I would reccommend this option.

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

You also may want to consider getting an extra one or two. What if one is mis-sexed at the hatchery? It can happen. Most hatcheries quote 90% accuracy. So far none of the 50 in the order have been roosters as far as we know, but they are only 7 weeks old.

I got more than I needed, and picked our families favorites. I just rehomed 2 a couple of weeks ago. I got lots of responses from Craigslist and I was not out any money. It was just hard to decide who to keep and who to let go, but they were growing so fast. I currently have 6, but only really need 4. I am keeping 2 extras still as insurance.

***Out of the breeds we got my family loves the Buff Orpington and the the Black Australorps the best. My neighbor agrees those are her best backyard breeds. She also really likes her Speckled Sussex.

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use the Pomona Feed Store in Pomona. You could probably easily call them and place an order as they get chicks in on a regular basis, so you shouldn't have to wait very long (as long as the hatchery has them available).

Edited to add: I figured out how much shipping would cost and even with the feed store adding on to the price so that they can make a profit, it is cheaper for me to order through the feed store than to order directly from a hatchery. I only pay $2- $3 per chick at the Pomona feed store.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Talked to another feed store local to me yesterday (Santa Barbara) and am waiting to hear back from them re some of the breeds, but they think they can get Buff Orpingtons, a Delaware, a Light Brahma and Ameracauna by April 10. I think they can get Australorps also. I think they get their chicks from Belt Hatchery in Fresno.

I was interested in a Cochin and Faverolle, which is what I haven't heard back about. Also asked about Silkies and D'Uccles but they won't order bantams due to not being able to sex them accurately.

If I don't hear from them yet today, I'll call tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by