Chicks near topanga Calif?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by corkyb72, Oct 4, 2011.

1. corkyb72

corkyb72 New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    I am in Topanga California, and want to get my first flock of chicks now that i have built my henhouse.
    Can someone tell me where I might be able to get chicks nearby? I would love to drive and pick them up, if possible? Looking for 6-10 good layers, brown eggs preferable ....

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Check with your local county regulations first before getting a new flock of birds or if you're in an agricultural zone.

3. kbgriffiths

kbgriffiths Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    I'm near Burbank and have been keeping chickens for a couple of years. I had a really hard time finding a place to get chickens from mostly because I wanted silkies. But I know that Kahoots in Northridge has chicks and East Valley feed has chicks in the summer. I ended up getting my silkies from a wonderful place called Amber waves silkies in Norco.

4. corkyb72

corkyb72 New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks so much for this, "But I know that Kahoots in Northridge has chicks" kbgriffiths!!! That is just the info I was looknig for. I see some online places, but having to pay double that cost of the chicks for the shipping is just too ugly to me. Guess I am gonig to go local, even though the selection will be smaller.

Thanks!!

5. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    i'm in Topanga
    Malibu Feed Bin has a good selection. but be careful, I bought 2 lots of point of lay pullets from there, the first ones I bought from there were terrific but the second lot introduced disease to my flock. We're clean now but I had to cull several birds. If you are after fancy breeds or a particular egg colour you'll probably need to go further afield .... However, if you are just after some fertile eggs of any breed, let me know. I have olive eggers, black copper marans, wynadottes, mille fleurs, 1 ameraucana and some mixed breeds.

6. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    You can try www.dare2dreamfarms.com. They will deliver chickens to your door for $20.00. Go to their website for all the info!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by