chicks neck turns all way..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bensteph821, Sep 9, 2011.

1. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    We have a silky that is in a wired brooder. The other day ny son brought it in and he looks fine until it tries to turn neck to the left, then his neck turns upside and crooked. Almost looking straight up. Very weird. Anybody ever encounter this? Doesn't seem to be in pain. Eating and drinking....

2. Ducklvr

Ducklvr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Interesting, I've never seen/heard about this, I think someone had a problem simalar to this though, maybe a vitamin defincancy?

Hopefully someone else will help you better than I can.....

3. bensteph821

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    We thought maybe was from him getting his neck stuck in the fence????? No clue:-(

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Search for wry neck. You can treat it if that is what it is. Don't delay though.

5. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    It could be wry neck or he may have some swelling on the brain causing it or could be a vitamin defincancy you could do a search on twisted neck or wry neck and there are several ways to treat this they dont always work but it's worth a try

6. bensteph821

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Thank you! Never heard of wry neck....vitamin deficiency not so sure about...we have many chicks and eat all the same thong..never saw this before. I will search though and see..

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies, especially ones with vaulted skulls are very prone to head injuries. The twisted neck is very common with them, also walking backwards, inability to lift the head etc. Some need injections (steroid) to reduce swelling of the brain, I've been told. I'm sure you will receive great advice on here but, if not please do contact a vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by