Chicks need hideout,help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by henney penny, Jun 21, 2011.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    My silkie chicks are nine weeks old now and mama has decided that they need to be on there own now,she chases them and so do the others and peck at them,I know this is all normal but they really need a place to hide or get aways form them when they are in the coop.Any ideas or pictures would be great.

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Maybe you could try a small dog crate or animal carrier? It would provide just enough space for relief.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    You could lean some wood up against the coop at an angle. I've seen mine hide under the ramps that lead out of the pop door.

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I still have my old brooder in the coop 5ft x 3 ft and have it propped up on one end. The little ones still scurry under when they feel threatened.

5. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    I saw a picture where someone had used the sides of an old baby crib to create a protected place in the coop for chicks. Two of the crib panels were positioned in a corner of the coop to provide a square area for the chicks. Food and water were placed inside the chick-jail. Chicks could move between the bars of the crib. Adults could not.

Dave

6. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    See the wood crates in the background.These are leafy green boxes(Bok Choy)from my local eatery.[​IMG]

7. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:This is a good idea. Make it a tight enough fit that only the chicks can get in. Also, make sure they cannot knock it over. Otherwise, you will have chicken pancakes. Not as good as it sounds...

ETA: My littlest right now are buff orpingtons and this is what they do when my son (18 months old) gets into the pen.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by