Chicks need homes, Tornado Damage-Parkersburg IA

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by bethaldridge, May 29, 2008.

1. bethaldridge

bethaldridge Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    On a canning forum that I belong to a man in Parkersburg Iowa needs to find a home for 60,000 baby chickens... all layers ASAP!!!!!

I guess half the town was wiped out by the tornados that ran through there. If anyone is around there you may be able to help this man out.

I offered to take 100, he may be able to ship. I'm not sure how big they are. But I'm sure as heck going to ask and post any follow ups here. I don't know if he's selling them or giving them away but I for one don't want to see them all get killed because they can't be placed.

Lemme know if you want info as I get it.

*edited title for clarity*

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  2. Holiday Angel

Holiday Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Depending on the shipping, I could do with 50. That is a lot of chickens.

3. bethaldridge

May 13, 2008
    I just called the lady and she said they are only about 6 days old and that they would need to be picked up as she has no way of shipping them.

They are FREE if you are close by. But they are exposed to the elements and a lot of them are drowning in the rains that they've been having all day. There are only a few thousand left at best.

Any help that anyone can be in that area would be much appreciated!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What kinds of chickens and their age will also help. Ie. Are they layers or meat birds, and are they just hatched or already a few weeks or months old? If they are between a week and a month or so, shipping might not be possible because they won't have egg food storage in them anymore and they aren't quite old enough to regulate body temp.

Best of luck with helping them to find homes!

Edit: I just saw your newest post. Try your local craigslist because it will all be people who can drive there. Best of luck!

5. Holiday Angel

Holiday Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Yeah, that probably wouldn't work for me because I live on the West Coast. Wish I was there.

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I'm up in South Dakota....don't really need anymore chicks, but I would love to help save some of them, poor things [​IMG] How horrible for every person, and animal down there. I just don't know when I could get the chance to drive down....

On a side note, we're having severe weather here again, good thoughts for no tornadoes!

7. bethaldridge

May 13, 2008
    Good thoughts to you for no tornados Mama. We dealt with Hurricane Katrina and then moved north to Ohio. Tornados happen here too but not as frequently as where you are.

8. momof3

momof3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    Hi I live in eastern Ia, maybe I can help out. Can you email or pm me the ladies contact number. There is also a website called qcauctiononline.com. It is more for eastern Ia and western Il. There maybe more people there that can help out.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If there is any more info re: who to contact I will gladly send it to friends in Iowa who can help spread the word. What a sad situation - those poor birds. Thanks so very much for helping get the info out there.
    JJ

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Thank you bethaldridge. I sure hope we can find homes for these little chicks. I know our previous church sent out a message, looking for volunteers to go down and help with cleanup, skid loaders and the likes a plus. We have equipment that would help, my DH just can't take off work [​IMG] I would love to help, anyway I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by