Chicks need something to play with! What's safe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skatcatla, Aug 2, 2007.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    my 8-day olds seem to be bored! They keep squabbling with each other and flapping around the brooder. I know its not a space issue..I think they are just bored. Every time I go over to say "hi" they keep running over to the front of the kennel like they want to get out.

I'm thinking about taking them out for a little while this evening so they can play on the grass, but while I'm gone all day, any suggestions for something fun to play with that is safe? How about a cardboard toilet-paper roll thing?

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

give them a couple little stips of paper. THey will play chicken keep away until they are exhausted. Sleep and then get up and do it all over again!

3. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    I had the same concerns when my girls were about a week old. Someone suggested digging up a clod of dirt from the yard with grass still attached and putting it in the brooder. Trim down the grass if it's really long, though. They had a blast digging and scratching and eating it all up. It'll keep them occupied for a long time.

Susan

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I always caught a few moths or really really small bugs for them to play keep away with. Mine entertained themselves by playing leap frog with each other. You might try an empty toilet paper roll. They like to play hide and seek also.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are running around and flapping It think they are already having fun :p. They just get excited when they see their "mom" coming!

6. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    They say to use a mirror for single chicks, but mine loved it and there were 26 of them! I also put a small piece of 2x4 in and they played king (or queen) of the mountain.

7. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Those are all such great ideas!! Thanks, all!

I did give them a flower to play with and they seem to have done a good job of pecking that apart. :-D

8. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    When my chicks were young I put an empty paper towel roll in there. They had the most fun jumping up on it and balancing and roosting. It kept them occupied. I had two of them in there and they loved it.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Hang a cabbage from a rope at chicken head height.

10. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Safety scissors, with all that paper and tp rolls.

Sorry, my mind is shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by