Chicks! New chick parents

SherrynBill

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 27, 2014
I decided to raise chickens for the eggs and delight for my grandchildren. This has been an awesome experience so far. My tetra tints are six weeks old. I started them on medicated food and electrolyte water. After two weeks I gave them starter food and apple cider vinegar from Bragg's in their water. I give them stage two baby food like squash, carrots And sweet potatoes mixed in their starter food. OMG! They love it and fight over who's going to get to the dish first. They are so spoiled. They have all their feathers and are flying. They love to fly on our hands. I am so happy I decided to get them. They are happy and healthy!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you are having fun with your the new chicks! They are a great family project, I'm sure your grandchildren will love them, and those fresh eggs. Be sure to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping you might find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you are taking very good care of your babies! Enjoy them now as they grow so fast.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Been very busy with chicks and grandkids. This Friday we get 12 new babies. Our first flock is now outside and doing very well. I'm not sure how they will get along with new ones so it will probably be a real challenge. The babies will be in the house for the first month. Then they can probably be separate from the others who will be 2 months older than them. Will take any suggestions. Thanks for all the welcome notes!

Been very busy with chicks and grandkids. This Friday we get 12 new babies. Our first flock is now outside and doing very well. I'm not sure how they will get along with new ones so it will probably be a real challenge. The babies will be in the house for the first month. Then they can probably be separate from the others who will be 2 months older than them. Will take any suggestions. Thanks for all the welcome notes!
You will have to wait until the babies are about 4 months old before you can mix them in with the adult flock. The babies all need to be about the same size as the older birds. Keep the babies in a cage or fenced off area, but right within the flock. Everybody sees, nobody touches. Leave them this way for about 3 weeks. During this time the older flock can work out much of the pecking order from behind wire. In 3 weeks you can mix them in. Watch carefully that day and the rest of the week. Things should go relatively smooth for the most part. However always intervene if it turns bloody. :)

Back
Top Bottom