1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks no longer using MHP!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggfooyoung, Apr 12, 2017.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    I know I've heard that maybe they're too warm for it, but I'm just nervous and have to ask, because I had 2 chicks die on my y'day (out of 6) and I just got 3 new ones and I'm trying to make sure we have no more fatalities, as I'm not sure my daughter's heart could survive it.

The situation is they're in a room that will have the average temp of 70. They all huddle together either near the pad, or completely away from the pad, but right now they aren't under the pad at all... and it worries me. They all know where it is, and they slept there last night, but it is possible that even at 2/3 weeks, they no longer need it because of the rising temps here in Raleigh? I did lower the heat on the pad (though I'm not sure what the temp is) in the event it IS too hot, but I'm just needing some reassurance that this is normal... so, is it? lol.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Have you been raising the MHP as they grow? What level do you have the heat set on now? They are communicating that they are uncomfortable under the pad - which is most likely temperature related, but could be from other causes as well.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    I raised the height so they would all fit (some are larger than others) and I turned the heat to medium (and I know, I should have the pad with the numbered heating options but I swear to you, 4 stores didn't have it and I was crunched for time). They used it every night consistently for 2 weeks, but now 2 days ago they didn't use it, then last night they did, then when I checked on them tonight, they weren't even near it - and it wasn't that warm in the room at all. One night they started out not under it, then in the morning they were all under it. Not sure what the issue is at all. What should I try next?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Definitely possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by