Chicks not eating as much

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tuctam, Apr 17, 2012.

1. tuctam

tuctam New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    I am new to chickens. My chicks are 4 weeks old and I now have them out in the coop during the day. When they were very young they would eat the starter food like crazy, I was filling it twice a day. Now that they are older they rarely finish a single filling per day. Is this normal as they are pecking and exploring the coop more or should I be feeding them something else other then starter feed? I have tried throwing in small vegy pieces and oatmeal into their feed at times for variety but they don't seem to be crazy about that either.

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    it looks like they are not eating as much, but in the night time, they eat it like its the last thing on earth. also, let them peck around the yard with supervision. Mines love to peck around in the porch because its shaded. And it could be a disease, but i doubt it. Just in case, heres the disease info:

Infectious Coryza

Incidence: common chicken ailment worldwide, especially in fall and winter in tropical and temperate environments.
    System/organ affected: respiratory

Symptoms: in chicks: nasal discharge, facial swelling, one or both eyes closed, death. In growing birds: watery eyes, eyelidsstuck together, reddish bad smelling discharge from nose, drop in feed consumption.

Cause: bacteria: it does not survive long in environment and is easily destroyed with disinfectants.

Transmission: contagious; contact with infected birds and their nasal discharge.

Prevention: avoid mixing birds from different flocks. Remove the infected birds and disinfect and leave the housing vacant for at least three weeks. Vaccinate only if the disease is positively identified.

Treatment: different drugs. Culling is preferred since survivors may be carriers.

Or maybe this disease:

Leucocytozoonosis

Incidence: only in areas where biting midges and blackflies are present, especially during summer and fall. In North America it occurs in southeastern states, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

System/organ affected: blood

Symptoms: in young birds: droopiness, weakness, lameness, fever, loss of appetite, increased thirst.

Cause: protozoan parasites that infect many other kinds of birds more often than chickens.

Transmission: spread by biting midges from infected or carrier birds, does not spread through direct contact.

Prevention: control blackfiles and midges.

Treatment: ineffective, recovered birds are carriers and will never lay well.

But i doubt your chickens have a disease. I think not eating much feed is normal, as i said, mines do this and eat at night, my chickens are perfectly healthy

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by