chicks not eatting

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ericmcginn5, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    i have chicks from 1 day old to 3 day old and havent seen any eat yet should i be worried?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, with them being 1-3 days of age it sounds like you have likely hatched them yourself, is that correct? (generally ordered birds are 3+ days of age due to time spent in transit after leaving the hatchery as day olds) If so, were they hatched in an incubator or with a broody? How are they currently being kept?
    Chicks do hatch with a natural "reserve" that makes it unnecessary for them to eat for the first couple of days - this is natures way of allowing the broody time to finish hatching her clutch w/out having to take the first to hatch out to feed while the others have not yet hatched...so it isn't entirely alarming just yet that you haven't seen them eat. What food is available to them and in what sort of feeder?

3. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Songster

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

As other poster said, 1 to 3 days old don't always eat right away. I have seen some that old eat, but not all do. One important thing to watch for though, is the size of the crumble. There are so many chick starters out there with large crumbles. I usually have to get a plastic bag and my rolling pin out to further crush the crumble so that it is small enough for them to eat. Usually after a week they are big enough to handle the larger size crumbles. One other thing you can put out there to encourage them to start eating is regular dry oatmeal. I usually just get a little bit and crumble it a bit and sprinkle on top of their regular food.

4. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    yes i did hatch them myself under a broddy hen i did take them away from the hen becouse my other chickens tryed to get them. i am feeding ultrakibble for chicks. i am just using a little bowl of food they do sleep in the food tho lol

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Songster

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Could still be too big for that age. Unless its very fine, I'd break some down. The chicks would do better under mom. You should have chicks and mom in a separate pen or area. If you are not going to let mom raise them, make sure you have a heat lamp for them. You will need that heat lamp for about six or seven weeks and a large enough brooder where they can get out from under the light when they get too hot. 95 degrees is ideal temp for 1st week, then drop 5 degrees each week thereafter.

6. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    Ok ty and they are all eatting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by