Chicks not getting along?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marilyngurl22, Mar 14, 2015.

1. marilyngurl22

marilyngurl22 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2015
    I have 5 week old Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers. I'm noticing a couple are starting to do what looks like challenging each other. They stand up really tall and stare at each other. One usually charges the other or chases the other away. Is this them just sorting out the "pecking order" or do I potentially have two Roos that are already having a go at each other? It's still too early, I think?, to tell the sex of them by looking at them though I suspect one (maybe two) to be roos based on behavior/stance/size etc. should I keep an eye on this or is this totally normal? Seemed to have started yesterday and has been going on and on since. No one has hurt the other.

2. marilyngurl22

Feb 2, 2015
    This is one I've seen bucking up to other chickens. She/he also stands on top of the waterer constantly, always puffed up and monitoring activity. [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pullet chicks will chest bump and peck and rumble too....not necessarily just cockerel behavior.

Cockerels usually show color in comb and especially wattle growth before pullets do, so watch for that.

4. adickenscoop

adickenscoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    As long as they are not hurting each other, establishing a pecking order is gonna happen...once they start actually injuring each other enough to draw blood then I would perhaps separate or provide some enrichment items

5. marilyngurl22

Feb 2, 2015
    Ok great! It's funny you mention the chest bump. I hadn't seen that until just a few minutes ago, which prompted me to check my post :) Good to know! It's pretty amusing :)))

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by