Chicks not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RIR0BCM, Jan 5, 2015.

1. RIR0BCM

RIR0BCM Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2014
    I need help this is my second batch of eggs that im trying to hatch and out of 20+ eggs only 5 hatched and one died after hatching (unknown reason) humidty is 45~55 %and temprature is 37.7 celsius i set it according to the instruction book that came with the incubator

It is day 22 and no pipping or hatching except for the 5 chicks that hatched already

I also noticed that the chicks were wet
    Also one of the chicks cant get up and walk although his legs are fine -he can move his legs but he is not able to get up or walk- i also had this problem with one chick from my last batch

Why is this happening and why are the chicks not hatching and what can i do to help the little chick??
    HELP

2. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Hi there, you might want to get another thermometer and hydrometer, it sounds like your current one is lying to you.
    If they are too wet, this suggests humidity is too high, chicks may have drowned in embryonic fluid.
    Chick with funny legs may need assistance.

Have you tried candling the eggs that are not hatched? Try candling and let us know what you can see...
    1. Any movement?
    2. Large dark spaces suggesting chicks reached full maturity (and if recessed will help us to learn that the problem is at hatching stage)
    3. Can you hear any pipping or peeping sounds? Try hold an egg up your ear and tap with your finger nail, try talking in a high pitch for reassurance.

Are they mixed breeds? Different size and shaped eggs?
    One of my chicks once hatched over 2 DAYS EARLIER THAN ANY OF MY OTHER CHICKS

Candle them and give a detailed description of what you can see. Make sure flash light has good batteries for maximum viewing.

I'll be checking on here for your reply. Good luck. Try not to stress! :)

3. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    *if deceased

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would recommend having at least 2 thermometers in your bator to check against each other. If your humidity is 44-55% during hatch, that's low. It needs to be 65%+ (I like 75%). 45-55 if fine for the first 17 days-unless your eggs aren't loosing enough moisture during the incubation process, which sounds like what is happening. During the incubation process try candling your eggs every three days or so to check the air cells and make sure they are growing at the right rate. This will let you know if you need to make changes to your humidity. If they are too big to fast, your humidity is too low if they are too small then they aren't loosing enough moisture and your humidity is to high. Dry incubation is something you may want to consider as well. Many people who haven't had good luck with the 'normal' incubation seem to have better luck with the "dry'' method. I now do dry incubation and prefer it.
    Have you read the hatching 101 page? Great source of info on there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

5. RIR0BCM

RIR0BCM Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi thanks for all the info !!...
    I don't think the thermometer is lying because my incubator is brand new this is the second time we use it ..i have candled some of the eggs early on and they were developing fine all the eggs are rhode island red eggs i pick only the best eggs for incubation

But i also have 4 goose eggs that are very dirty in the incubator and becuase of the humidity they smell bad (dirt+humidity+heat=stinks)
    Can that be the cause ??
    I had to put them all together because geese dont lay everyday like chicken so i didnt want to lose the eggs and i read that i shouldnt wash them

(Ps the goose eggs are not close the the chicken eggs)

Ill try to send pictures of the chick's legs and the bator maybe someone has one and knows how to set it right

Right now im at work when i get back home ill check on them and update

Thanks again

6. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    IF THE GOOSE EGGS SMELL REALLY BAD THEY ARE ROTTEN AND MAY EXPLODE!
    The humidity levels and length of incubation indifference is massive, and I really wouldn't recommend incubating really dirty eggs, especially mixing breeds together...
    My incubator started telling the wrong temp after the second time I ever used it and it was brand new. It was a Janoel and they are notorious for having thermometers that tell the wrong readings.

I have 2 janoels on the go right now, one automatic, one manual, I have separate therm for each other them. For one it is the second time it has been used, and the other it's the 5th and they both give readings 1.5-2.5degrees C of inaccuracy. Enough to kill chicks...

7. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    With straddle leg you need to make a splint to train them to walk straight.
    Google 'chick straddle leg' and there are places with instructions on doing this with a bit of tape and cardboard. youtube is also good to instructions with videos.

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I bought a brand new thermometer for my first hatch I did. Didn't bother to calibrate it because-it was new. At lockdown I had 17 viable moving eggs. (I did think they looked a little behind, but I was new and was hoping that it was inexperience.) I ended up with a failed hatch and one survivor hatched 3 days late. Turns out my brand new thermometer was 6 degrees off. Second hatch I had three new thermometers that were checked against each other. Wasn't making that mistake again! Had a beautiful second hatch!

I'd say if those eggs are that dirty, you might not want them in there. Sounds like the perfect set up for a bacteria filled petrie dish to me. Dirt, moisture and humidity.

9. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    A men to that, it sounds like there's a couple rules that have not been heeded!
    The goose eggs are really not great in there. I'd give them a wipe with some cooled sterilised (boiled water) on a clean dish cloth (but not smelling strong of fabric wash)
    Once you have cleaned them, give them a big sniff, and it mean, put your nostrils to the shell and sniff hard.
    If you smell rotting, sweet, meaty smells, chick them immediately!
    X

10. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    What incubator do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by