Chicks not interested in yogurt/treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by epeloquin, May 23, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    My girls are almost 5 weeks old (3 BR and 3 RIR) and have been in their coop/run and free ranging for a few days now. They have scratched up several small earthworms on their own and run around with them like the do with superworms but don't eat them. I have also tried yogurt and some fruit and garden greens and they peck at it a little and leave it. It has been a couple weeks since I offered either.

Has anyone noticed that they take interest in some things as they get older?

Should I keep offering these items. I really want them to have treats but I also want them to get used to things that may help them in case of a problem (i.e. the yogurt for gut issues).

I would really appreciate feedback on this. Thanks!

2. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My EEs were suspicious of new foods. Had to offer something a few times before they would eat it. Now my month younger silkies are greedy little things and will scarf any treat I offer in my hand.

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I couldn't get my girls to eat treats until they were a couple months old, and even then I had to offer things to them a couple of times. Eventually they became little piglets and will chase me down if they think I've got something for them!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I started offering my chicks who are 6 weeks old chopped scrambled eggs early then trying other treats that others have recommended. They love eggs, spaghetti noodles (sometimes I even put a little thinned peanut butter on it like phad thai), but they don't care for yogert or chopped grapes. May try oatmeal and raisins next.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I have one suggestion for you, try the yogurt in a spoon with crumbles on top. This was the only way ours would try it, and now they go wild for the stuff, and it's hilarious to watch too.

[​IMG]

6. motherhenmindy

motherhenmindy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have been giving small treats since about 3 weeks old or so, they are now 5 weeks old. I see that anything I randomly throw inside if it's not a bug, they are very suspicious of it.

The first time I gave them yogurt I put it in a bowl, they wouldn't touch it. They will happily peck it off my fingers and sometimes the spoon. They also hated grapes and watermelon.

I think it just takes a while for them to try new things.

7. hjohnson6

hjohnson6 New Egg

May 5, 2011
    My girls love yogurt. They made a mess with it too. They don't like strawberries though.

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I've started giving my new girls treats like cooked pumpkin. Looked sideways at a little while but now they love it.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Just about any new treat has taken mine some getting used to. I thought the first watermelon scraps were going to go to waste til some of them finally got up enough nerve to try it. I tries BOSS several times til someone suggested giving it with scrambled eggs. Now they go for the BOSS first. I think they're just afraid of anything new.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by