Chicks Not Opening Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AccentOnHakes, Aug 3, 2010.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    There are two of them, and neither are really opening their eyes. Sometimes, rarely, they open their eyes about halfway for maybe a second or two. They have food and water, but are not eating and drinking-I don't think they know they're there because their eyes are closed, but I did dip their beaks in the water.

Temperature: Unknown, we have a 60watt bulb in the brooder, a foot or so off the ground?
    Bedding: Pine shavings.
    Feed: They're not eating, but it's chick starter from our chick store. Not sure if medicated, or the brand.
    Brooder: Cardboard box
    Poop: Not pooping much, but they haven't eaten anything is their entire(if short) lives so far. Some runny looking poop (about 4 in all) that looks kinda scrambled eggs after it dries.
    Other: Not much. No discharge from eyes or nose.

Also, one chick is weaker than the other. That chick can kinda flop around, move a bit, but doesn't seem to be able to really walk. Head is held up, so getting stronger. The other one is better. Walking around the brooder. Both are cheeping, though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Cheeping is good.
    I would suggest checking the temperature in the brooder for starts.
    Did they fluff up and dry off before removing them from the incubator?
    If they just hatched yesterday it is not so concerning that they are not eating as they will still be living off the yolk. You will however want them to start drinking and eating soonish. Showing them by dipping their beaks was a good start. If they seem weak you could try some poly-vi-sol drops in the water and dip their little beaks again to help them (just be careful not to dip just the tips so you do not cause them to aspirate water).
    As for the closed eyes...I don`t know, hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will have information on that for you. They do sleep alot when they are little,
    Hope all goes well...keep us updated.

3. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Mrs. Feathers :

Cheeping is good.
    I would suggest checking the temperature in the brooder for starts.
    Did they fluff up and dry off before removing them from the incubator?
    If they just hatched yesterday it is not so concerning that they are not eating as they will still be living off the yolk. You will however want them to start drinking and eating soonish. Showing them by dipping their beaks was a good start. If they seem weak you could try some poly-vi-sol drops in the water and dip their little beaks again to help them (just be careful not to dip just the tips so you do not cause them to aspirate water).
    As for the closed eyes...I don`t know, hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience will have information on that for you. They do sleep alot when they are little,
    Hope all goes well...keep us updated.

We didn't hatch them- we got them from a friend who has a rooster and broodies. [​IMG]
    We don't have a thermometer....well at least we can't find it. We don't have poly-vi-sol either.​

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:We didn't hatch them- we got them from a friend who has a rooster and broodies. [​IMG]
    We don't have a thermometer....well at least we can't find it. We don't have poly-vi-sol either.

Poly vi sol you can buy easily at walmart. It's in the baby aisle...since it's just baby vitamins. If you don't have a thermometer to check the temp, then take a look at your chicks. If they are panting and/or huddling in corners farthest from the light, they are too hot. If they huddle together in a ball under the light, they are too cold.

Also I would put paper towels over the pineshavings, so they learn what is food. If not, they will end up eating the pineshavings and not figure out the food.

The chicks could be stressed from the trip and may need a boost. You can boil an egg and then mash it up good and feed it to them. If should help perk them up a bit. Make sure you point out the food by tapping your finger (like a mother hen would do).

I wish you the best! [​IMG] Sometimes things just didn't form right when they were incubating, and no matter what you do, they don't make it. I hope that isn't the case here!

5. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:We didn't hatch them- we got them from a friend who has a rooster and broodies. [​IMG]
    We don't have a thermometer....well at least we can't find it. We don't have poly-vi-sol either.

Poly vi sol you can buy easily at walmart. It's in the baby aisle...since it's just baby vitamins. If you don't have a thermometer to check the temp, then take a look at your chicks. If they are panting and/or huddling in corners farthest from the light, they are too hot. If they huddle together in a ball under the light, they are too cold.

Also I would put paper towels over the pineshavings, so they learn what is food. If not, they will end up eating the pineshavings and not figure out the food.

The chicks could be stressed from the trip and may need a boost. You can boil an egg and then mash it up good and feed it to them. If should help perk them up a bit. Make sure you point out the food by tapping your finger (like a mother hen would do).

I wish you the best! [​IMG] Sometimes things just didn't form right when they were incubating, and no matter what you do, they don't make it. I hope that isn't the case here!

I did tap the food(read about it) but I think the main problem is that their eyes are closed.

6. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    My first experience with hatching eggs resulted in humidity being too high and the chicks not getting dry (and losing 4 of the 7). The ones I moved to the brooder that lived didn't really dry out and fluff up like they should have, and just as their feathers were kinda stuck together, their eyes were stuck shut. I took a paper towel and some warm water and let a drip of warm water touch their eyes, then dabbed with the paper towel. After a few minutes, their eyes "unstuck" and they were able to get them open. Maybe yours have the same issue? The problem wasn't really apparent if you looked at their eyes, but I suspected as much because of the plastered down feathers. It worked and they're now 6 weeks old and healthy as can be! Hope this helps... [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    How are your chicks doing today?

8. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    We got another chick, and the new one and the healthy one are eating. They don't seem to drink, but I have dipped their beaks in water. The third doesn't move much, but is still alive.

9. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:I tried the water thing, didn't work. Healthy chick now has opened eyes, weak chick is still closed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by