Chicks not sleeping in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dvann007, Mar 29, 2012.

1. dvann007

dvann007 New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    My chicks have been outside in their new enclosure for about 5 days now, but every night they don't go in the coop to sleep. they just huddle on the ground. I've been moving them up to the the coop every night where they have a heating pad, but they haven't got the hint yet to do it on their own. They can go up and down the ramp just fine as they do it all day long. Is this behavior strange? Any hints on how to get them to go up there on their own?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Patience.
    Keep putting them up. Eventually they'll want to sleep there.

3. dvann007

dvann007 New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    I'm sure they'll eventually get used to it, I've just never seen chicks not naturally go to the coop at night. I was also thinking of putting in my nicest hen to help teach them for a little while before integrating the two groups. Of course, they're like a team of 5 year olds playing soccer - there's not necessarily a leader so they just stay together as a group.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. caj1985

caj1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Ratcliff, AR
    Welcome from Arkansas!
    My chicks did the same thing last year. It took about a week for them to decide the coop was where to go at night. It took them another 6 weeks to decide to use the roosts instead of the nesting boxes. [​IMG]

5. dvann007

dvann007 New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    I'll give it another week or so before I call in the chicken psychologist! Thanks everyone :)

6. dvann007

dvann007 New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    I have success! The chicks went up on all on their own the past two nights.

I'm not sure if this helped, but one night at dusk - before they had a chance to get sleepy - I started putting them up in the coop and then the rest followed on their own. After that they've been going up on their own. Thanks everyone :)

7. rayber

rayber New Egg

May 1, 2014
    I have a slightly different problem, up until 2 nights ago my chickens would happily go into the coop to sleep, however not their perching on a pole we put across a corner of the run, could this be due to the weather?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by