Chicks not wanting to leave heat panel

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I hatched some orpington chicks. 1 hatched last night, 2 early this morning, and 1 several hours ago. I have them in a brooder w/ food, water, a heat panel (don't know what they are really called, it's from Amazon, made for chicks, has adjustable legs, similar to the one Brinsea makes), and a white heat lamp to keep the whole setup light enough they can see. Anyways, as soon as I put them in the brooder they ran right under the heat panel (which is about 2 inches of the floor) and fell asleep. I have observed them and they just sleep for 10+ minutes then rearrange themselves and peep quietly just like normal chicks would. But they haven't left from under there yet. will they ever come out to eat/drink/stretch? I took the oldest one out and put him by the food, but he shivered a little and then ran right back in. They are young and tired, but will this change? It is a small tub, I will move them to a bigger on once they become more active.

Most chicks won't eat much for a day or two after hatching. They live off the egg yolk they absorb right before hatching.

I personally prefer a heat lamp because I can control the temperatures. Just my personal preference. I can't help with the heat plate.

I hatched some orpington chicks. 1 hatched last night, 2 early this morning, and 1 several hours ago. I have them in a brooder w/ food, water, a heat panel (don't know what they are really called, it's from Amazon, made for chicks, has adjustable legs, similar to the one Brinsea makes), and a white heat lamp to keep the whole setup light enough they can see. Anyways, as soon as I put them in the brooder they ran right under the heat panel (which is about 2 inches of the floor) and fell asleep. I have observed them and they just sleep for 10+ minutes then rearrange themselves and peep quietly just like normal chicks would. But they haven't left from under there yet. will they ever come out to eat/drink/stretch? I took the oldest one out and put him by the food, but he shivered a little and then ran right back in. They are young and tired, but will this change? It is a small tub, I will move them to a bigger on once they become more active.
Can you post some pictures of your setup? When I use a brooder plate I place the food and water at the edge of the brooder and sprinkle some crumbles on the towel under the plate. I also keep mine at an angle, higher in the front. lower in the back.

Their first water should be warmed a little because cold water can chill them.

Here is a picture of mine.
DSCN5097 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
What is the temperature outside the heat plate. Is there a cover or a high ceiling? When the setup is in a room with a comfortable temperature and you put a towel above the food plate the chicks probably feel more comfortable outside the heat pad.

I think they are not eating or drinking because they don't need to yet. They can go almost 3 days without food and water when first hatched. When they have a mother, they are hatched and mama hen doesn't take them out of the nest for at least two days. She knows when to take them out and show them what to eat. Don't worry, they will come out in a day or so and find the food and the water. For now, let them be. I doubt they will starve themselves! :love

Did you dip their beaks in the water?
I love my heat pad/plate... but....
I do use a heat lamp over the feed water station for the first few days, only during the day and just to make sure they are eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK.
Red colored incandescent bulbs at a reptile supply source. A dimmer extension cord is an excellent way to adjust the output of the bulb to change the heat without changing the height of the lamp.
Hmmm had a good pic but can't find it now.

Here you can see just the edge of the heat pad in the lower left.
1583961128942.png

Last edited:
Yes, I have the heat lamp over the feed/drink stations. The chicks were panting under the plate, so I turned it down a few clicks. They seem fine now. One ventured out (probably bc he was hot) and stood there for a few minutes before darting under again. When I go out and check on them I lift the plate to check on them. I nudged a few towards the food....but they weren't interested, they are more interested in eating shavings 😫 They pick them off each other and gobble them down. My theory is they don't want to leave from under the plate bc they are SO new and tired, but bc they are under there and don't want to leave, they start eating shavings. I will go out, move the lamp closer, take the plate away for a few minutes, and see if I can get them to be more interested in eating the correct things.........brand new chicks are so nerve racking 😟

I should have used a towel as their first bedding...........I've never had chicks eat shavings but I do now

Back
Top Bottom