Chicks now or spring?

kitkat6

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
So I've gotten the go ahead for chickens in our backyard. I have my coop/run all planned out and have my five chicks chosen (three EEs, a cuckoo Maren and an Australorp).

Now that all that is done...I'm anxious to get started and can't seem to wait till spring. Is it better in your opinion(s) to wait until spring so my young pullets wouldn't have to deal with our chilly, snowy Pennsylvania winter or just go ahead and get my coop ready and order my chicks now since they'll be inside in their brooder for a while anyway?

I'm so impatient!!!

At this point, wait. Chickens are a chore in the winter so better to plan and have everything ready to go before you dive in. Start working on the coop now even if that just involves gathering supplies to build it. CL is a treasure chest of often free building supplies. I would be first in line for chicks late winter/early spring. People aren't thinking about chicks at this time do your selection is the best it will be. They will be inside for at least 6 weeks so that puts you to mid April by the time they need to go out. If you have a garage, they can be transitioned out there earlier and outside in the coop by May 1st without heat or light. You won't have eggs until late summer but they will be able to do bug patrol all spring and summer.

First, I want to welcome you to BYC. Have fun planning for your flock. Second, I want to tell you that there is no wrong answer here. Either way, you will choose the correct answer for you. Third, I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd spend the winter getting the coop ready, and doing a lot of research. That way, when you get your chicks, you'll be ready for them, and very well educated to deal with what ever comes your way. It's so much easier to start chicks in the spring. Trust me, it's no picnic brooding chicks in the house. It's a great way to stress a marriage! No matter how often you clean their brooder, or how big it is, the dander that they produce will cover everything. It's not so much a smell issue, though there is that, too! But a dander issue. They produce a constant silt of shed skin, down and feather bits that flies everywhere. Also, tending chickens in the winter can be a drudge, with all of the shoveling and frozen water to deal with. And fourth: I'd recommend that you build your coop and run much bigger than you think you need. A bare minimum, especially for a small flock (you can more safely juggle the numbers a bit with a large flock) is 4 s.f./bird in the coop and 10 s.f./bird in the run. Even with that run size, they will strip it of all vegetation within a couple of months and rearrange it to resemble a moon scape after a meteor shower. And fifth: look at deep litter, and fermented feed, as well as fodder. Happy reading!!!

It's no more work to raise 25 chicks than 5. I would order whatever the lowest safe amount is (higher in winter to assure warmth in transport) and sell the rest. You should be able to end up with "free" chicks that way. Typically you should get $7-10 for out of the brooder and $15-20 for POL pullets. You can also put an ad up on CL looking for others to split an order with.

Agreed - as long as one has the space needed to brood those extra 20 birds.

I'm going to go against the grain here, but I say go for it now if you have done your research -- and it sounds like you have. I ordered my chicks from Ideal this time last year, and they arrived October 8th. I went with Ideal because I wanted a small batch of mixed breeds, and they had all the breeds I wanted. October also seems to be a good time to ship, where I am -- not too hot or too cold. But, I MOSTLY went with October because, like you, I did not want to wait! I had them in my basement for a little over 5 weeks, then put them in our unheated coop in November. They did great, despite the fact that I was a newbie. AND -- I had eggs in March! I tell you, going out and finding eggs every day just does not get old. Welcome aboard, and have fun!

Last edited:
Go ahead and get them now. I wouldn't be able to wait, so that's a biased opinion. They're just too cute!

Chickens generally tolerate cold temperatures better than they do hot, so now is probably a good time. It was much easier to keep ours warm in cold weather than cool in hot weather.

My husband has now told me unless I let him get a Foghorn Leghorn chicken we can't have any.

Such a child.
1f61c.png

No better time like the present. Like most other things if you wait till you're ready it'll never happen. I would suggest buying at least double the amount you want to end up having due to issues u may run into raising especially since it's your first go round

Last edited:
Your own gratification should not be the first concern here. If you're getting baby chicks and raising them outdoors heading into fall and winter, that is not a good acclimation strategy. If you're a beginner you'll have enough surprises already. Spend the winter reading books and forums like this one. Get the chicks in the spring while day length and temperature are on the rise. Let them feather out completely before dropping temperatures hit and the winter acclimation can occur naturally and safely.

Totally understand your point-but if I were to get them now and have their brooder in my basement-which is my plan-they'd be nearly fully feathered before our winter temps would be an issue and they'd be out in the coop. Plus I do have electricity available out there should it become an issue.

1f604.png

Incorporate into design a box laying on its side that is large enough to accommodate six half grown chickens with a lot of straw as well. Then imprint chicks on that box. I can provide details on the imprinting process. Also have an area within coop with stray / have birds can stand directly on. In the past I had coops large enough for me to place to straw bales into such that they can positioned to form a horizontal "V". Then place straw inside V to provide loafing area.

Back
Top Bottom