Chicks of dubious heritage

Crumpets

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
I lost my whole flock to a fox a while ago and rather to my surprise some of the left over eggs have hatched. We only had one cockerel, he was light sussex but the mother of two of the chicks could either have been a meillefeuille pekin bantam or either a white or brown silkie. I have tried to attach some photos but I'm not sure if they will work. The two smaller chicks have speckled white/brown feathers and one of them has feathered legs. The other has five toes on one foot and four on the other. They both have very small combs with a dent at the forehead and they do have slightly sticky up hair. Can anyone shed any light on what their heritage might be. (The bigger one is all light sussex). Thanks.

:welcome. Sorry to hear about your fox attack I know what it is like I too lost my flock back in March. Although some recompense was that the fox was caught coming back for another go and was shot by my super better half. As to what your chicks could be I would go on the one with five toes has come from a silkie I once had a silkie x and it had five toes. Sorry but not sure on the others. Hope you enjoy the site.:frow

First,
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your fox attack. Any of the chicks with five toes (even on just one foot) are probably Silkie mixes. And based on their color, I'd say that the white Silkie was their mother.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry to hear about the fox attack- its always hard to lose chickens, especially more than one!

I agree with Bantamlover21's assessment regarding the chicks.

Thank you so much for your replies. I thought they were probably half silkie. The kids will be very pleased. Now I guess they'll either all be cockerels or I'll be spending all next summer sorting out broodiness!
What a great forum.
We got the fox by the way and are re-enforcing the run before we let this lot out.

Back
Top Bottom