Chicks of the future 2! sorry jhonny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvchikies, Jan 7, 2009.

1. luvchikies

luvchikies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    sorry jhonny for copying a thread almost like yours, but its an excellent idea on how to describe it. Ok I just order some chicks fro Ideal hatchery and they will arrive the 21st. This is my first time with chickens but thats why i made this thread so yall can help on how to take care of my chicks. The only things that I know on how to take care of them is this:

Feed them daily (or until feed runs out)
    change water daily
    and have enough space for them to run
    and have pine shavings for them to snuggle on.

they are 33 chicks coming on the 21st of january im so excited!!!!!!

I THINK IDEAL HATCHERY IS THE BEST FROM WHAT I'VE READ HERE ON THE FORUM!

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    No need to flounder in the dark! The Learning Center on BYC has all the information you need to raise healthy, happy chicks. Here's a link to get you started:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-first60days.html

ETA: One thing I would add to the brooder advice is to put paper towels on top of the shavings for 2 or 3 days until the chicks know what and where the food is. I had one die once from injesting some shavings. [​IMG] And never use newspaper at first as this will cause a condition called spraddle leg because they can't get a good grip on newspaper - it's slippery. Good luck with your chicks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I've ordered once from Ideal and was very satisfied. All of my chicks are healthy (10 weeks today) and it is great fun. I have not ordered chicks from another vender so I really cant make a comparison. I selected Ideal for a couple of reasons. First, a couple of our feed stores around here that sell chicks have "Ideal" posters on the wall. Second, I'm in Texas, they are in Texas. Third, they have a good reputation here on this site. Fourth, they advertise on this site so I figured that I use this site for learning purposes the least that I could do was spend money with one of this sites supportors.

Good luck.

4. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    I always encourage people to learn all they can about the animals they wish to raise before ordering. You put the cart before the horse, so you have less than two weeks to learn.

Ask questions but do not rely on everyone here to teach you everything you need to know, which is a whole lot more than the few items you mentioned. There are too many variables and too many differing opinions for us to give you the education that you need. You need to find paths to information that you can read and decide if it applies to your situation.

Read everything you can, as birdlover suggested, including the link to caring for your chicks. You have to know how to prepare for and what to do on the day they arrive. If the post office calls to say they've arrived, its too late to start learning, because that is the day they either start growing or start dying.

If you are unaware of the usual problems that can develop in new chicks (and something often does,) then coming back to this thread to ask about it may be too late. I'm not saying you need to get a veterinary degree before the chicks arrive, but being aware of some of the usual problems and being prepared for them can often save some of their little lives. You should know where to find information that you need at the drop of a hat. (Posting a problem and waiting for someone to read it and reply is no substitute for being forwarned and prepared.)

Be prepared to move them into proper housing when they arrive. A cardboard box in the kitchen will work for a week or so but after that, a proper brooder will be necessary, followed by a proper (and secure) coop. (And, if you wish information that is relevant to your situation, you need to give some clue as to what part of the country you live in.)

Again, you need to take the responsibility for learning and raising the chicks. You have 33 little lives that will depend on you to know how to care for them. Ask questions here, but this thread should not be the alternative to seeking out the information you need.

Best of luck.

Wayne
    [edited for spelling]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Well put, Wayne!!

6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Luv...we can learn this stuff together! I have my first Chicks shipping from Ideal on the 21st also. I have been reading on this site almost daily for over a month, and I've read on a few other websites too.

I have plans (mostly in my head, and talking it all out with DH) and a lot of the materials for my brooder, coop and run. I just have to get it all put together. Feel free to PM me any time to chat, although I probably won't be too much help if that's what you need, since I'm learning too. [​IMG]

7. luvchikies

Jan 6, 2009
    I already planed my brooder how it would be and soon this next week we are going to start (well not me my brother) building the brooder. It would be as large as more than 33 chicks could live in there. I've been looking at this site and many others on gathering information, I already feel prepared.

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm putting my basic supply list together (I like lists, they keep my head clear). Some of it I already have, and the rest I will buy at my local feed store.

For New Chicks:
    Brooder (Box, Screen Top, Lamp, Thermometer, Feeder, Waterer)
    Pine Shavings
    Paper Towels
    Chick Crumbles
    Grogel Plus-B (Vitamins, Probiotic, Ordered from Ideal with the Chicks)

For Later:
    Grit
    Oyster Shell
    Food Grade D.E.

I will edit this post as I add stuff to my list. Any suggestions are appreciated!

9. luvchikies

Jan 6, 2009
    TXmom is it too late if I order one of the Grogel Plus-B if I already placed my order? and how much did it cost you?

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

You will need a 250 watt red heat lamp. Keep it 95 the first week the decrease 5 degrees each week. I also reccommend using medicated chick starter.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by