Chicks officially went outside in their brand-new coop!!

mhopson19

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Central Illinois
This is our first set of chicks, and we got the coop done yesterday, so they moved outside to the "big kid" house today! I am so happy. I love them, but so glad to get them out of the house finally. The run isn't done yet, but that's okay because they are only three weeks old (yes, they have a heat lamp out there).

Here are some pictures:

Okay, I see a building of some sort....

Getting the walls put on...

All walls are on! Can you see what it's going to be yet??
wink.png

Finally got the roof on!!!
clap.gif

Painted it red, although it really didn't turn out how I thought it was going to....

The finished product! This was made with a lot of scraps and repurposed materials. I wanted it to look really pretty, but when we went to put the door on we realized the whole building wasn't square and that messed some things up, lol. So the door looks out of place and we also didn't bother to paint it... although it will need a coat of paint at some point. Probably when the run gets done.

The ducks and chickens enjoying their new spacious home. :) Much better than the 50 gallon tub they were in previously.

And Butchie, upset because he can't get to his babies. Lol.

Yes, they will stay together. We put them together when we first got them not knowing any better and now that we made a homemade waterer that keeps both the ducklings and chicks both happy and dry, we don't see a reason not to keep them together. They even sleep together at night, although that may change once the chicks start to sleep up higher on a perch.

Very cute house! I love how you repurposed everything! It reminds me of our duck house we just built :)

Last edited:
I know it looks small, but it is actually 6'x4'. We will put in some nesting boxes for the chickens and we are going to build a big pen for them that will have a place for the ducks to swim, etc. They won't stay only in this coop forever.

Back
Top Bottom