chicks oh chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love4mychick, May 7, 2009.

1. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    i bought 12 4 week old leghorn chicks well i bought them a 2 weeks and now they are 4 weeks but they just dont seem to like me so i am thinking when they get bigger i am gana sell them and i was just wondering what kind of chick i should get (i am a person who will treat these chicks as a pet and will not kill them and eat them) i also would like to be able to hold them
    thank you everyone [​IMG]

2. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    bantams eg silkies, bantam cochins etc
    or arucanas i have a arucana chick now it runs to the end of the brooder to get to me to get picked up [​IMG]

3. chandasue

chandasue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    MN
    I have Speckled Sussex and they ALL (19 hens 2 roos) follow me around the yard. [​IMG]
    I didn't handle them much as chicks since there was so many that looked the same, I never knew which ones I was holding, but several run right up to me regardless and let me pick the up and carry them around as long as I want. They're very curious and friendly. [​IMG]

4. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    don't necessarily give up on the ones you have. they might just be going through the "snotty adolescent" phase! my chicks personalities changed as they matured. if you handle them all and give them treats you might be surprised that they liked you after all! just keep familiar with them and they'll get the idea. you = good things

5. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Leghorns tend to be a flighty breed. They make great layers, but not always great pets.

I agree that Speckled Sussex can be quite friendly. So are Buff Orpingtons, and I have some Barred Rocks in my latest batch that are very friendly.

Good luck.

6. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Quote:That's good to hear. I have red sussex chicks and right now they're still scared of me. Hope they will outgrow that.

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I have speckeled susex , buff orp , barred rock, new hampsher reds, all are very friendly, and I also have ee they are friendly too, but I have some mean RIR, Brown leghorns.
    I have 1 domenique she is quite nice, and black australope, they seem to be nice too.

8. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    From what I've read, Leghorns will never be overly friendly. I got 6 because they are good layers, lay all or most of the year and they lay white eggs. They are 3 weeks old and are not friendly like the other breeds I have. But they will be good layers so that's fine with me.

I also have a New Hampshire Red that cannot get enough loving. She started climbing up and sleeping in my arm at about 5 days old. The Plymouth Rocks (White and Barred) are also very friendly. They are all 5 weeks old now and just love attention. I also have 3 Buff Orpingtons. They were more "skiddish" until recently. Now they are coming to us for attention also.

So maybe keep a few friendlier Leghorns and then decide to get other breeds as well. MyPetChicken.Com has a breed selection tool to help you decide which breed is best for you. For example, "winter hardy" was an important characteristic for me, as well as friendly and lovable. But I don't need all 19 hens to be overly lovable. I also want good layers too.

9. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    i've also heard leghorns are flighty and not the best pets. but since they are good layers you can wait and see if they get more friendly and if not you'll have an easy time finding them a new home.

I can also give a thumbs down to Blue Andalusians - crazy birds (but beautiful)!

Google "henderson chart chicken' I think they have great info on chicken breeds, also mypetchicken.com and feathersite.com has info on breeds.

I only get friendly and good laying chickens after learning some lessons - I like Cochins, Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons. I have heard great things about Delawares and Favorelle but have had a hard time finding them in my area so have never had any. I also have had White Sultans who follow me around like puppies but the are not good layers.

10. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    Let me tell you, I have 10 leghorn hens and 1 roo. I would not trade them for nothing!!!!! They are stand offish at first but they tend to loosen up. My group greets everyone that comes into the yard. They talk all day long. They lay everyday. I have hatched out 2 bator full of leghorn eggs, so I have many more in the works. Don't get rid of them, they can be real sweet birds. I also have Buff Orp., Australorps, Delawares, EE, Barr Rocks, Polands and silkies. My Leghorns keep everyone in line. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by