Chicks on sticks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cosmic chicken, Mar 21, 2015.

1. cosmic chicken

cosmic chicken Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Varina, Va
    I have seen a few posts of people moving their chicks from the brooder to the coop and being concerned that they do not use their roosts. So, I thought I would post this fuzzy photo of my chicks on sticks in their brooder box. I added the sticks to give them something new to explore and they have started roosting on them a bit. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Very cute, a little jungle gym.

Most young birds when first put into new surroundings will huddle together on the floor for at least a few nights. Nothing to be concerned about.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Very clever! You're very creative!

Now, go hunt up another large cardboard box and tape it together with the one you have, then cut a pass-through into the common wall, and you've enlarged your brooder.

The current box is much too small. Chicks double in size each week, so you can understand how much space they're going to need.

I recommend you find a table and set up the two brooder boxes on it, and cut side access doors into them so you can easily handle the chicks from the side instead of thrusting your hands down at them from above, which frightens them like a predator diving at them.

If you want to have tame, friendly chicks, this is the way to assure that.

1 person likes this.
  4. cosmic chicken

May 30, 2013
    Varina, Va
    Lol, absolutely! I am already armed with more large boxes and now that I have a day off, I am going to follow your instructions!

I want to raise the box, but our studio apartment above the barn is so small I cannot fit a large table thru the door! I am concerned the ottoman I was using will be too unstable when I double the brooder box. [​IMG]

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How about an ironing board? Or take four dining chairs and use them as a base for the brooders. Look around. You'll find something that can double as a base for the brooders. Learn to see things in uses other than those which they were intended.

6. cosmic chicken

May 30, 2013
    Varina, Va
    Oh, I am a master of seeing the use of things in ways they were not intended! [​IMG] lol. The ottoman and a side table, along with some stabilization acrylic scrap pieces have done the trick. Honestoy, the ottoman was taking up a lot of space, so using it was helpful. We now have a 6x3 foot box that is giving them much better space!

My wonderful man put a window in the dividing wall for our newly obtained Silkie, showgirl and Silkie mix chicks. :)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by