Chicks on the roost

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Let me tell y'all a funny tale.

I've been having to go in the coop the last 5 days and put the chicks on the roost I put up just for them. They are 8 weeks tomorrow, the wife says. So last night at dusk I went out to the coop to see if they learned anything at all. Two of them was on the roost looking down at the others. The roost is only 20 or so inches off the coop floor. I thought I would let them sort it out and I would close the window covers. I was excited they were learning. Then all of a sudden they came flying out of the coop screaming. Seems one of the little one just thought it would get up on the roost with mama and did she ever take offense at that. She ran them all out. I went back around and looked in the pop door as mama was getting back on the roost. They all went back in and 4 of them made it onto the roost. Then the fifth one flew up and that left one. I stood at the door waiting to see what she would.
    The last one walk halfway up the big girls ramp and attempted to fly over from there. She missed and knocked two other down. They got back up and the little one tried again. She misjudged the distance again, knocked one back off and flew into the screen of the window and hovered there till he fell to the sand. The one she knocked down got back up just a fussing. Then of all things, with me looking in the door the little one came over to the door just a peeping at me and I swear she was asking me to put her up there. I told her she had to do this on her own. Well, she gave it one last try and made it. I as a happy papa closed the door, told them all good night and went to the house.

So my point is those of you that have chicks and wonder how to teach them, just like training any creature, repetition and they will get it. Just like feeding time. I throw out scratch for the big girls and the chicks go in the run and wait for their starter feed. I give them just enough scratch for them to think they're getting something. Then open the gate and out the go scratching in the leaves and rolling in the dirt.

These birds really are a trip to watch grow up and see each one's personality.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I agree, so much fun watching them grow......They're like little kids really.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    awwh, that sounds so adorable. mine just got here this morning. it will be so fun to see such things.

4. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    cute story :)

5. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Awww, cute story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by