Chicks on the Way Maybe.........finally!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nuclear Chickens, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Nuclear Chickens

Nuclear Chickens Bird Mechanic

Feb 2, 2010
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I ordered 15 assorted chicks from My Pet Chicken way back in April. The scheduled ship date is today. So I went to the Post Office this morning and gave a Soda and a bag of M&Ms (with my name and phone number on it) to the Lady behind the desk so that when my Chicks arrive she will not forget me. I live in Tonopah AZ (not even a wide spot in the road) and the Post Office has One person working there. 4 months and MAYBE they are on the way. I consider myself a patient person ...but the waiting is driving me nuts! I heard today that some times the Postal Service will not accept shipments to Arizona due to the extreme heat this time of year. Ugh! Have I mentioned that this is driving me nuts! Well any way I have this uncontrollabe urge to e-mail My Pet Chicken tomorrow to ask if they were sent yet..... Any way my home made brooder is cleaned, set up in the house and ready. Bedding is standing by in the shed. Chick starter feed is in the bucket in the laundry room (Wife wasn't too keen on that idea). All I need now is those [email protected]%&* Chicks! [​IMG]:fl

2. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Are we just a wee bit excited? haha. The only time I get excited when baby chickens come is when they are 16 weeks. haha. I just want eggs. But remember to post some pictures of them. We all like pictures of them

3. Nuclear Chickens

Feb 2, 2010
    Tonopah, Arizona
    ALRIGHT! Post Office called this morning to let me know they have arrived. Immediatly got out of bed and rushed to get them. Wife even went with me. She says chicks are like kittens, cute when they are small but not so much when they grow up. I disagree. Ordered 15 but we have one stowaway. So total of 16. Pictures and breeds to follow. Been busy. Sold my soul to the wife for chicks. Had to put up pantry shelves first before I can spent time with the chicks. [​IMG]

4. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I just rec'vd mine from MPC last Tuesday. Wow you ordered in April and are just rec'vg them now? What kind of birds did you order? Please post some pictures...

5. Nuclear Chickens

Feb 2, 2010
    Tonopah, Arizona
    The reason it took so long to recieve my chicks is I asked for this delivery date. I live in Tonopah, Arizona. June thru Auguest the outside temp is 100 to 115 every day. I didn't want to put new pullets outside til it cooled off some. So 6 to 8 weeks from now the weather will be just fine. As far as breeds I have: 5 White Leghorns, 1 Buff Orpington, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes,2 Silver Cuckoo Marans,3 Buff Brahma Bantams. I have pictures but now I have to ask the infamous question............"How do I put Pictures in my post" (yes I said it [​IMG])

6. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    It's super easy. Just click on "uploads" at the top of this page, and upload your pictures from your computer. Then copy and paste the "img" link into your post (the links will appear after you upload- you can go back to them by clicking 'my uploads'). Good luck and can't wait to see!

7. Nuclear Chickens

Feb 2, 2010
    Tonopah, Arizona
    OK, here I go.....Catch me if I fall......

Two of our Cats wondering What is that Noise?
    [​IMG]
    What was in the Box.
    [​IMG]
    Chicks in the Brooder Hot Room
    [​IMG]
    Here is my home made brooder. It has two rooms. A cold room and hot room with a doorway between. That way they can move from hot to cold as they need to. Hot room temp can be adjusted with dimmer wheel mounted on side of brooder.
    [​IMG]

8. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    All I can say is that it took a year for my DH to convince me to get chickens. Now I have to say I was the jealous one when he got to go to the post office last Wednesday for our 4 new additions. I am hooked. He wanted a few, we now have 19. I am not sure which of us is worse at this point. [​IMG]

Your chicks look great! Enjoy! [​IMG]

Nice brooder too.

9. LanaBat

LanaBat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    [​IMG]
    Oh my gosh, they are so cute! Congrats! [​IMG] I can't wait to get my first batch of chicks! I may go with ordering from MPC, since I've heard so many good things from them.

What a cute little brooder, too! [​IMG]

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    It took me 2 years to convince my hubby that we needed chickens. Guess with the economy getting the way it is he decided maybe I was right made me a coop and got me 2 RIR for mothers day since then I have added 6 PR they are getting ready to lay at least I hope so soon, 7 barred rocks that 5 maybe 6 one is still confusing me roos they are 8 weeks old except for one thats 3 weeks and one black australorp that i hope is not a roo but everyone here thinks it is I also have 10 more comming that was shipped out yesterday. We also have 2 kahki campbell ducks. Those are his.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by