Chick's on the way

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anthonyjames, May 19, 2009.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I have a warming light, food and that is about it right now.

I have 4 Easter Egger Standards on the way
    2 Star Standard Red
    2 Plymouth Rock Standard Barred
    2 Australorp Standard

Is there any thing else I will need besides food, water and warming lamp for them?

What would be best to keep them in? Box, Aquarium? Do I need pine shavings or anything else for the 3 day old babies?

2. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Wow! What a nice bunch you will have soon. You could purchase some soft bedding like Pine shavings. Make sure it's pine not cedar. Cedar is harmful to chicks. Make sure they have a safe place to grow in like a sturdy cage or big box. We use a Big Dog kennel, it seem to work out well. Good luck and enjoy the chickies.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Enjoy your chicks, are you a first time chicken mama or should I say papa?

4. old mill poultry

Mar 10, 2009
    Alot of things can work for keeping them safe. I used a large storage container, like you put clothes or xmas decorations in.

5. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    First time papa to chickens. My 2 girls 4 and 3 are really excited as well as I.

I have been trying to ponder if I let them wander my yard or build a large run to move daily and put them back in their coop. Since the coop is unmoveable.

I have some big boxes. Do you keep the light on 24/7 for them or do they stay warm at night in the house? I am just wondering if I will have to move them to a different part of the house at night with the light on to keep them warm. I heard 95 degrees to start and then I can drop 5 degrees per week until it get's a little warmer here.

Is that true

6. old mill poultry

Mar 10, 2009
    The boxes will be fine. I leave the light on 24/7 for the first 6 weeks. I live in the east and it's pretty cool still. I would not let them free range for a while, I did this my first year and drove me crazy chasing the chickens into the coop area. I would build a pen for them to range in. You can also build a chicken tractor for you lil chickies, check the coop section for ideas.

7. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Enjoy! Mine came today and I can hardly tear myself away! I used Carefresh bedding with puppy pads on top. I have a smallish cardboard box acting as my brooder for the first week and then a larger appliance box standing by to take over the duty in a week or so. Where are yours coming from?

8. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I ordered my chickens from

www.mypetchickens.com They ship as few as 3 chickens and had a really good supply.

9. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Quote:That's where mine came from and it was a very good experience. They did a great job. Good luck with your new babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by