Chicks on their second week.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken7777, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hi, I got my chicks just last week. They are doing great they are very beautiful chicks, and they are actually now learning how to come when called for food. there is one, with the occasion of others that when I put my hand down in the brooder they come towards me and they let me take them out of the brooder without me reaching for them.....I never knew chicks and chickens in general were so sociable and obedient....Do you think if I would name them they would come to me once they are older? and they might let me pick them up to hold( huggs) once they are older?

Anyway just wanted to ask some questions regarding how this is my first time raising chicks, and wanted to know if there is something I should now at this stage of growth. Something I should provide, change or anything like that.
    Also I have some chicks; maybe two that poo very liquidy, like Diarrhea.
    Some poo are nice and soft not runny but why is it that this happens...do you think it might be becuase I might need to put less water in the starter mash because it has too much water?

Well thanks much![​IMG]

2. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Congrats, I too am moving into week two with my 25. I am noticing that they are now trying out their wings and are getting (jump/fly) on top of the 1 gal plastic waterer. I was wondering what to expect next too.

Here is a challenge to the community, how about someone developing a "what to expect" sticky or time-line that can give new folks an idea of what will happen.

for example week 1, heat should be around 90-95, chicks will begin to feather out, feed chick starter and ensure they have lots of clean water. Change water frequently. Use paper towels and not newspaper or shaveings for the first 3-4 days (better traction and doesn't confuse shavings for food) after 3-4 days you can add shavings. If they are too hot they will lay flat and breath hard with mouths open. Watch out for poop accmulation around the vent and clean off if it builds up. you can use a damp cloth to soften and remove some people use vasiline, try to dry the area as the other chicks will peck at the wet area. Toward the end of the week the chicks will start to flap their wings more and jump/fly around, they may also start to "pearch" on things in the brooder like the feed tray. They will also start to scratch around in the shavings and you will have lots of shavings in the food and water. Slowly raise the water and food off the ground to recuce the amount of shavings.

I have tried to read through all the threads to garner everyones knowledge but no real easy method to track things down in a sequence of events. Things like when to add small "roosts", let them go outside, developmental changes, when to tell the guys from the gals, different habits/traits the chicks will exhibit, give treats, add a dust bath, add/feed grit, add ACV to water, etc...

I know not all chickens are created equal but generally the things that most of us will encounter.

For the old hands at this I know you know what to expect each week and what to anticipate. I would love to see this knowledge laid out for us newbies. What do you think?

3. Chicken7777

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Yeah that would be a great Idea to make!!! i guess we should get it started...but we need people that have more experience than we do in raising chicks/chickens.
    Also would appreciate some answers for my own questions too!

4. Chicken7777

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    Hi guys I would appreciate to know why some of my chicks are pooing type of diarreah/liquidy poo?
    is this normal, they still poo normally but why does this happen?
    Thanks guys!

5. Dustoff79

Dustoff79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    I think it is normal, I have some that do the same. there are two things to remember. first that their waste is both feces and urine mixed and every few days (if i remember correctly) they eliminate what is called cecal it is normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by