chicks on wire floor

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CovenantCreek, Dec 21, 2007.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I just moved my chicks, 1-3 days old, into their "permanent" brooder this morning -- my concern is the wire bottom. It's supposed to safe for chicks to walk on, but........... I've got most of it covered for now, but that prevents the poop from dropping through to the poop tray. Any opinions about leaving them on bare wire at this age?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Maybe some hay or straw scattered on the wire?

3. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Well I dont use wire but I do hear it is good. I have had just really amazing luck with all things...cabnet liner!!!
    I actually had a chick have curly toes and I did not think he would even make it because he could not even stand, but since I had this liner it literaly straightened his toes out and now he is running around! We of course call the chick "Mirical" (sorry cant spell today LOL).
    Anyway, just my 2 cents!
    good luck!
    [​IMG]

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:I can't get rid of the wire -- it's part of the brooder -- but I have cabinet liner under the feeder and a towel under the waterer. They cover most of the wire, so the chicks can choose for themselves if they want to hang out on the uncovered areas. I'll probably take them out in a few days as they get used to the wire.

5. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    good idea!
    well enjoy your babies!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by