Chicks only 4 wks old and mama hen already laying again!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mprivett, May 12, 2011.

1. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    I've only had chickens for a little less than a year and this is our first experience with a broody hen. Her chicks hatched out about 4 weeks ago, and today I found an egg she had laid in the dog crate and mini run combination we rigged up for them to sleep and stay in! The other chickens are in a coop and run that is next to mama hen and her babies separated by hardware cloth. Is this early or right on time? She seems ok to stay and sleep with babies for now but today was out free ranging with no concern for her chicks and they were crying loudly for her. Wondering if its time to move her back into the big coop?

2. gameboygal12

gameboygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Yes, you should move the mama back to the big coop. The chicks shouldn't go into the big coop until they grow all their feathers in. You should set up a brooder and a heat lamp for them to stay in until they can go into the big coop.

3. mprivett

mprivett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Chatham County, NC
    Thanks! I will try letting her go into the "grown ups" coop and maybe putting a lamp in the little ones dog crate brooder outside. They are getting close to being mosyly feathered out (4 weeks and Dominiques) so I'd think they'd be okay? They spend all day outside now with mama not covered up. They only sleep with her at night. Also last night she willingly went back into the babies pen to sleep with them so I'm thinking I'll just let her choose on her own? Or is it dangerous to keep her in there with babies once she has started laying again?

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    my mama chicken is out all day with babies, they fuss but she does not cover them what so ever. Today she also laid an egg. The chicks are 23 days old and now on the roost with mama, now that's weird! She was in the coop nest box and laid an egg and her chicks were sitting by it. Then she jumped out and they followed her. This is her first ever chicks, she is a year old and went broody last month and we let her have some eggs as she is broody a lot.

5. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    We have a broody that hatched out chicks April 1 and she has already started laying and has decided to go broody again![​IMG] My son wants to give her eggs.[​IMG]I am still trying to figure out what to do with the last 9 she just raised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by