chicks or adults?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by backwoodschick, Oct 4, 2011.

1. backwoodschick

backwoodschick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    East TN
    I am going to add white egg layers to my 6 NHR's which are about 6 months old right now, should I go with chicks or adults? I am going to probably get Leghorns.

2. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hmmm....
    Well of course I would say chicks, because they are so darn CUTE and you can have a chance to bond with them and socialize them more....however, it may be harder to integrate chicks that are so much younger than your other birds into their flock. I don't know though, I'll leave that to the experts....[​IMG]

3. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i always vote hatching your own, or getting day old chicks. never any older. never.

there are risks involved in getting older birds.

4. backwoodschick

Sep 29, 2011
    East TN
    Quote:Is it to close to winter to go ahead and get chicks I would like to have them in the coop with the NHR's as soon as they are big enough which I am not sure about when that would be either?

5. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    If I were going to add to my flock right now, I would opt for POL girls. If you can find a reputable dealer/breeder I think adults would be much easier to integrate, and more quickly. You would need to quarentine for a while, but still that wouldn't take as long as keeping babies separate till they were the right size. You would know the sex at POL, too. No accidental roos.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:Is it to close to winter to go ahead and get chicks I would like to have them in the coop with the NHR's as soon as they are big enough which I am not sure about when that would be either?

They will have to be fully feathered in before you will be able to place chicks outside. Depending on the breed, that's usually around 6-8 weeks of age. While in the summer time, in climates where the temperatures don't dip below 70-80 degrees or so at night, you can put chicks outside a few weeks earlier. In the winter, that won't be the case and you may have to wait a little longer before moving them out.

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I would hatch my own unless you just want the eggs and not the cudly little chick.

8. backwoodschick

Sep 29, 2011
    East TN
    Quote:We plan to do that later I dont have a roo right now and I am just wanting 3 white egg layers for personal use for me and family, I am going to get a roo for my new hampshires

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by