Chicks or chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Day Old ChicK, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Day Old ChicK

Day Old ChicK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Vicksburg, MS
    I am about to embark on the chicken obsession and know very little. I am in town with a chicken tractor in the backyard suitable for 12 or fewer. Should I order chicks or buy adult or juvenile chickens? They will be pets for our children, so I would like to face as little mortality as possible.

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Then if you want to avoid seeing fatalities, I would purchase juveniles. They are hardy by that age, don't need constant attention, will cost the least as for a older bird, and will soon reach their peak in production.

3. Day Old ChicK

Day Old ChicK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Vicksburg, MS
    Thanks. That is good advice. Do you know of poultry houses that sell juveniles, or am I better off just looking around locally? I did have my heart set on some Light Brahmas and Barred Rocks, bur can't find them close.

4. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    mcmurray hatchery has juveniles. let the kids hold them as much as possible as soon as you get them. barred rocks are sweet and my buff BRAHMA bantam is sweet too so good choice and good luck

5. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    well i take that back mcmurray has juveniles but not those breeds

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Buff Orpington's are suppose to be very docile. I also have a cochin who is pretty laid-back. Either of those breeds should work well with your children.

I should have looked at McMurray before posting this. Of the juveniles they have, I would choose the black star's. They are a cross but typically are pretty social. I have red star and black star...the black star's are a favorite. Early attention is good. I would be tempted to get babies just from the social aspect although they are a bit more work and you have a greater chance of losing one.

I had chickens for the first time last year. I was very lucky..had six and lost none from natural causes. I did eventually lose one but that was to a retriever. Mine are almost a year old now and have done very well both socially and with the egg laying.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I would suggest that if you get adults, get the entire batch at once. I find that they will sort out the pecking order pretty easily as a new group but if you introduce one or more at a later date, the established group will likely go after the newbies and you could have a real problem.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Black Star started pullets from McMurray. Problem is they can be a little pricey.

My black star from them is a sweetheart... I raised her from a chick, she gave me my first egg.

I'd order chicks and raise them. That way you can get a variety. (variety is the spice of life)

Even though they are pets, when one dies it's a great teaching opportunity for kids.

I'm also a Buff Orp fan.

And you'll want eggs so get some leghorns and red stars or cinnamon queens.

9. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    If they are going to be pets, I would not order more than 2 chicks per kid, and of course you. 10 or 12 and someone may get left out. My BO's are the bet and very friendly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by