Chicks or Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SweetPoultry, Dec 10, 2014.

Chicks or Ducklings?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2015.
  1. Chicks!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ducklings :3

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. SweetPoultry

SweetPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    I recently joined backyard chickens, since I would like to have my own birdies, but I can't decide if i want to raise chicks or ducklings, because I like both species. When I was younger I used to have a pekin duck as a pet, but I also think Chickens are beautiful, [​IMG] I had considered having both, but I would have to NOT put a pond for the ducks because the chickens don't like that humidity and I would like to know the pros and cons of both species and their differences to choose wisely.

2. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    We started with ducks and now only have chickens. Why? Because ducks are little two legged pigs. I love them to death but they are not yard friendly. Ever time it rained I'd find new holes drilled in the yard and some quite large. Also no more pool to keep clean for them. I loved the ducks but chickens are just a better fit for us. Although there is nothing better than hatching and raising duck eggs and having them follow you around!!

3. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

If you check out my signature file below you will see that I have my fair share of birds, probably more than my fair share. What I can tell you is the brooding chicks is a lot cleaner than brooding ducks. They both are endearing when little but the ducks are like raising pigs in a pen. Once outside chickens will scratch your yard to death. Their run and range will be grass free in a matter of months and, if they are like mine, they will scratch out holes like they were headed to China to become Chinese Chicken Salad. Ducks, once outside, will muck and root about until your yard looks like a lunar landscape. They can be quite loud (not all but some). My Khakis and Blue Swedish are quiet to the point of being almost silent. While my Cayugas, who are supposed to be a quiet breed, make a ruckus all day. If, in your chickens, you end up with a rooster or more you can expect crowing at all hours of the day and night so you have to consider that if you have neighbors that are close.

Now for the other side of those coins.

Chickens are precious little balls of fluff when you first get them. The grow pretty fast and will need a safe area to live outside. They will, once settled in, follow you around making soft little chattering clucks (I don't know if they are being affectionate or just wanting more stuff to eat). If you spend enough time with them one or two will "bond" with you and actually sit in your lap and snooze for a while. If they free range they don't need as much feed but you will want to balance out their diet to keep them healthy.

Ducks are precious little balls of fluff when you first get them. The grow faster than chickens and will need to be outside sooner so plan your purchase to coincide with nicer outside temperatures. The are fun and funny to watch. If you get a breed that are good foragers you will have your insect problems taken care of as they can be "herded" around to various areas and allowed to just go crazy eating. While not usually as friendly as chickens they will follow you around and do silly things to you like nibble at your feet once they are sure you are not there to harm them.

Both will provide you with eggs however you may have to do some adjusting when using duck eggs.

Solution...get geese. They are affectionate, intelligent and loving except during their breeding season. They are beautiful, they need only a lot of grass to keep trimed. They are superb early warning systems for visitors and other out of the ordinary events. They produce eggs that will make an omlet fit for a king and queen using just one egg. They produce beautiful little goslings and both the male and female raise their family together.

Oh why fool myself. What you really need is a nice selection of chickens, ducks and geese.

4. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    I like that answer, lol.

5. SweetPoultry

SweetPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Oh well I like geese but since I'll be the only one taking care of them ...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  6. JordanWalker

JordanWalker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2014
    I have chickens right now and I really love them. My parents had ducks before but I think it's not a good fit for me since ducks are not yard friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by