Chicks or Pullets?

chickenchalupa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I'm thinking about raising chickens for eggs and i am trying to decide whether to get chicks or pullets.
I want to get pullets because i will get eggs sooner and i want chicks because i want them to be friendly. Help

Pullet chicks just means female chicks.

So I am guessing you mean should you start with day old chicks or 'point of lay' or 'started' pullets.

I'd say day olds if you want the cute babies and holding and cuddling them and having them love you right away.

You can get started or point of lay pullets to love you, but it will take time. The advantage is not waiting so long until they start laying eggs. So, less feed cost upfront before eggs.

I say you should get both....get a few POL (point of Lay chickens so you can have eggs now and then get a few day olds so you can raise them and watch them grow!!!!

Quote:
Good idea, I have chicks and is so much fun, but would also be so nice to have some chickens close to laying. Can't stand the waiting
barnie.gif

I say chicks! Definitely chicks! Their so much fun to watch as they grow. Keep in mind that if you get started pullets you won't get eggs immediately. They'll take a week or longer to adjust to their new enviroment before they will start to lay.

I would go with chicks ,even though the wait seems forever. Raising the baby chicks is so much fun and they are the cutest things! We just got some new babies and I forgot how cute they are . I think when you raise them and handle them, they tend to be more friendly.
Michele

If you get pullets, this is what I did. I went into their run or in the coop and sat on a crate daily for awhile with their favorite treat. Mine happen to LOVE bread. I took some bread in and started to give them a little. Within a few days they were in my lap. Once one got up then another until they were all having a go at it. Now every time I am anywhere they see me they come running.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom