1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks or Pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenchalupa, Sep 3, 2008.

1. chickenchalupa

chickenchalupa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    I'm thinking about raising chickens for eggs and i am trying to decide whether to get chicks or pullets.
    I want to get pullets because i will get eggs sooner and i want chicks because i want them to be friendly. Help

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Pullet chicks just means female chicks.

So I am guessing you mean should you start with day old chicks or 'point of lay' or 'started' pullets.

I'd say day olds if you want the cute babies and holding and cuddling them and having them love you right away.

You can get started or point of lay pullets to love you, but it will take time. The advantage is not waiting so long until they start laying eggs. So, less feed cost upfront before eggs.

3. thepetpaw

thepetpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Tennessee
    I say you should get both....get a few POL (point of Lay chickens so you can have eggs now and then get a few day olds so you can raise them and watch them grow!!!!

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:Good idea, I have chicks and is so much fun, but would also be so nice to have some chickens close to laying. Can't stand the waiting [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I say chicks! Definitely chicks! Their so much fun to watch as they grow. Keep in mind that if you get started pullets you won't get eggs immediately. They'll take a week or longer to adjust to their new enviroment before they will start to lay.

6. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I would go with chicks ,even though the wait seems forever. Raising the baby chicks is so much fun and they are the cutest things! We just got some new babies and I forgot how cute they are . I think when you raise them and handle them, they tend to be more friendly.
    Michele

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If you get pullets, this is what I did. I went into their run or in the coop and sat on a crate daily for awhile with their favorite treat. Mine happen to LOVE bread. I took some bread in and started to give them a little. Within a few days they were in my lap. Once one got up then another until they were all having a go at it. Now every time I am anywhere they see me they come running. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by