Chicks or started pullets to add to my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StephanieC, Feb 4, 2015.

1. StephanieC

StephanieC Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Florida
    I realize this is not a new question, but everyone's situation is different.

I started my chicken experience with 5 chicks last April. They grew into four fine laying hens and one that had a genetic problem and never matured. This last one vanished without a trace about three months ago. My best layer and best chicken all around, was taken by an unknown predator last week.

I now have two Orpingtons and one Easter Egger. I would like to have more. I don't need more eggs, but if I lose another chicken I will. My coop is big enough for five chickens maximum.

I could get two started pullets and go through the quarantine and introduction. Or I could raise two more chicks and introduce them when they are big enough. I see pros and cons both ways.

If I get chicks, there will be more of an age difference, which works in my favor down the road. If I get pullets, I have eggs right away and maybe less work, although the quarantine sounds harder than raising chicks.

If I get chicks, I have the fun of seeing what they grow up to look like, and the fun of the first egg. I can also control their upbringing, socially. But pullets are ready to go and probably a lot less work.

I welcome opinions.

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    If you get just two chicks, one might die and leave the other lonely. If you get extras for good measure, it would be your luck that all of them survive and you'd have too many for your coop. If it was me and I had such a limited space, I'd go with point of lay hens. You have better chance of both surviving the quarantine and if one didn't, that hen closer to the age of your other hens would be accepted into the flock faster than a lone chick. Just my opinion.

3. StephanieC

StephanieC Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Florida
    That is good advice and I didn't think about the consequences of losing one chick, probably because last year I wanted to get three chicks, but my husband said I better get a couple extra in case they didn't all make it. Of course, they all did.

I could enlarge my coop...but I should take your advice. Actually, I should take your advice AND enlarge my coop...

1 person likes this.
  4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    LOL!!! You are learning Chicken Math, I see. [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LMAO!!

Do you have the facilities to truly quarantine?
    BYC Medical Quarantine Article
    Poultry Biosecurity
    BYC 'medical quarantine' search

If you're going to enlarge your coop, and already have brooding equipment, chicks might be more fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by