Chicks ordered from McMurray! Am I crazy and impatient?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arwmommy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Hey guys.... some background....

Last year we ordered chicks from mypetchicken.com (loved them!). We ordered 8 pullet bantam cochins. 2 deaths and one roo that had to be given away with 2 pullets later, we end up with 3 chickens total.

We got them in mid-May, so by the time they were ready to lay, we were well into fall and we never got any eggs! They are now 8 months old and NO EGGS! They are total pets and we love them anyway, but we are ready for the spring and to finally get some yummy organic eggs!

We love the cochins and would love to order more from mypetchicken, however, they just don't carry all the colors that we are looking for. McMurray is actually taking orders now, to begin shipment in MID FEBRUARY!!! Well, I couldn't help it, I put in my order of 25 straight run bantam cochins! And then I had some second thoughts...

While we live in (usally) beautiful Southern California, and it is usually in the high 60's or 70's in February, McMurray is in stinkin' IOWA!! February has to be freezing there, and in most of the states between Iowa and California. Even though I am shipping 25 babies, are they going to freeze to death??

Part of the reason we want to order so early is that it is easier for me to have them in the house at that time of year (family work situations) and I figure by the time they are 6 weeks and ready to move out of the house it will be April and beautiful! Also, the kids were really bummed having to wait so long for eggs, and this way, they will hit 20 weeks in July, plenty of time for them to start before the sunlight diminishes.

HOWEVER.... the thought of opening a box with half of the chicks frozen to death is sickening. Will they be OK shipping in February? Would McMurray include a heating pad if I asked(I would be HAPPY to pay more)??

Sorry to be so long winded! Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    the 25 chick minimum is suppose to guarantee that there are enough chicks for warmth.
    They may include a few extra "males for warmth" just to help out.

3. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    The absolute best way to get chicks is to order from a hatchery close enough to you that you can drive over and pick them up in person. Just put them on the seat and crank the heater, you'll be serenaded all the way home. That said, we order turkeys and chicks in the middle of Feb. every year. Have always had them arrive alive and well. At least yours are going from the cold to the warm. I am always on pins and needles worrying that they got misrouted and are sitting in the back of a truck overnight.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They will be fine!

5. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I got chicks the first week of delivery in Feb last year. Texas to Ohio . There were a few that didn't make it but it wasn't an unusal amount- It should be ok - Ideal did replace them.
    We also got a load from meyer in august for a chicken stock
    there was about the number of loss in July-- which was Ohio to Ohio.
    Keep us posted

6. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks--- Heaven's knows that if there were anyplace within a 4 hour drive that I could get the bantam cochins I want, I would do it. The trouble is I am in an area of southern CA more known for horses, vineyards and shopping than for Chicken farms (which, I suppose, I am grateful for, but at times like this.....). [​IMG]

Anyway, we will go ahead with the order and hope that they will be able to deal with the cold for 24 hours!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Believe it or not, the local feedstore gets their chicks from Ideal in two weeks from now! If the weather is too awful between Tx and Ga, they will delay shipment, but yep, this lady gets chicks earlier than anyone. She charges alot more than some, but people are willing to pay it to get them this early so they are laying earlier. AND, they are not straight run, they are all pullets.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    There is a feedstore in Lakeside, on Palm Row drive - that does have chicks now and then!!!

(Carters Hay and Grain)

BUT you've already placed your order, and who knows when Carters will get more chicks - they had really cute little turkeys last year in June I think.....

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When I used to order chicks I always used McMurray's and always had good luck with their chicks.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just called Murray McMurray and revised my order....AGAIN....I add a little here, subtract a little there...mine are for delivery on Feb 11. I told the gal I talked to, to please put a note on this order that if someone named Kathy calls, HANG UP!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by