Chicks out for first time yesterday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Jul 27, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    My newest flock of 26 Black Stars and 6 EE's are just 8 weeks old and well blended with the older birds so I figured it was time to liberate them from the coop to chicken yard. I could have done it a few days earlier but wanted to let the latest rain get past us, so yesterday was the first. Of course they immediately discovered every place in the yard that allowed them to escape--a small hole next to the gate that I hadn't noticed and places where they could jump up and fit through the mesh. I'll take care of those today. No problem getting them back in at night, however. When I went down to close up the coop at dusk they were all lined up on their roost, completely tuckered out.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, I had a chick get loose a couple of weeks ago, and it educated me on the weak spots in my run security! *pant pant* Chasing a single little chick around is hard work - that goober can RUN!

Glad you didn't have to chase yours down. How cute that they were tuckered out and all settled, too.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

I stood patiently by the gate tonight as the last little gal figured our how to get up the ramp and through the hatch. Of course as soon as she got to the top another bird popped her head out and scared her off the ramp so she had to repeat the process. My wife started to wonder where I'd gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by