chicks out in the big house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shane17, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Last week at 3 weeks old I took my 8 chicks outside for good. There in the run/coop area by themselves because these are the only birds we have at this point. They seem to love it. I got lucky with the weather this spring highs in upper 70's and lows only in 50's. I leave a light in the coop on at night for them. They have figured out how to use there ladder walk to get in and out and also there water system with poultry nipples. i have realized there pretty good at figuring things out. The only thing is every night I have to go out right at the edge of dark to physically place them in the coop. They have not quite figured that out yet to go in at dark. They just all huddle up in the corner of the pen! Also they have feathered out ALOT in the 4 days they have been outside. Anyone have a trick to teaching them to go nighty-night in the coop when it gets dark or will simply continuing to put them in myself teach them. Thanks guys.[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you keep doing what you are doing, they'll figure it out.

Or you could leave them locked in the coop for about a week so they get used to sleeping in there, but even that is not a guarantee they'll go in on their own for a while. I usually lock them in the new coop for about a week before letting them in the run, and occasionally I still have a few that don't go in on their own.

3. Shane17

Jan 14, 2012
    Well once again I went and put them all in for night-night. I suppose they do not have to sleep in the coop do they??? There food and water are out in the pen. I have some roost out in the pen/run area for them and this is where they are when I go out to put them up. Only thing is the lows at night and there heat lamp is inside.[​IMG]

4. Elissa

Elissa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Orange County California
    They should definitely go in the coop at night. At three weeks old, they should have an area that's about 80 degrees. Keep the light on and put them in until they are fully feathered. If they are outside when you go out there, they may not be feeling the warmth of the coop, and so, don't go in there. They may forget that it's warm in there. Put them in at night until they figure it out. :)

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I found what really helped with them going into the coop at night was that if I put their old brooder in the coop, they'd run for the brooder every night because that's what they were used to. After a while, out goes the brooder, and they run into the coop everynight anyway, because they're used to it by then.

6. Shane17

Jan 14, 2012
    yeah I'm thinking after awhile they should get the hang of it. My neighbor who has adult chickens tells me they will roost out in the pen on sticks he uses for roost poles rarely going in the coop other to lay eggs. I realize mine are still too little for that. they have figured out at the crack of dawn its time to go out though! Last night got pretty chilly. Cooler then they called for down in the 40's and seem to be fine. I believe they will feather out much faster if placed outside. At least mine have. thanks for the suggestions everyone!![​IMG]

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    lol, good luck! Once I found that the chickens were sleeping outside against the coop wall because a large nettle plant had fallen across part of the entrance and they were scared to go near. They can be real... chickens sometimes. :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by