1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks out of the blue are pecking and killed a guinea

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sphynxcrazy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sphynxcrazy

Sphynxcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    I had, 48 chicks. 41 golden sex link, 7 EE's all pullets, plus 5 guinea keets. They are around 8 days old. They are all in one of those big hermiston watermelon boxes.

I went to check on them this morning and i found a poor guinea keet dead. They pecked its wing and he basically bled to death. There is blood streaks around the box. It happened this morning, he hadn't even started to stiffen up. It was about 8:45 when i found them. I was checking everyone else and they had started to peck another keet. There wing kind of parts and hang down. right where the part is, is where they start eating the wing at.

I hurried and set up another watermelon box. I was actually going to do this and split everyone up since they need more room, but now i am not sure if i should Do You think they pecked them because they were a bit crowded?? Maybe since they will have more room they wont peck?

Sorry for the long ranting post, I had to wrestle 5 grass calves with pinkeye to give them a shot that burns yesterday and i'm sort of tires.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes I would separate them asap. If they're crowed they might peck on others. More room would be good. Let us know if that helps.

3. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    I was in a hurry and didn't clarify I did separate the keets. I am wondering if they would be okay if I put them back with the chicks who will be separated into 2 watermelon boxes

This afternoon when I got home from checking the calves I decided to put a few chicks back in. So far they have been sleeping. I did see one of the chicks who kind of was going to peck the wing feathers that hang down.

I don't know what I am going to do if the keets have to be completely separated, as I don't have another light...

4. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I would buy another light, just in case, and toss some grass clippings in there to help with boredom. Also a sight barrier might help, just add some stuff the break up the line of sight.

5. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Are you using a white or red light for heat? guineas normally are pretty robust, but that being said being out numbered something like 8:1, one peck one drop of blood and it would have been the wolfpack vs the injured rabbit.

6. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    It's a white light. I just don't like read. I have heard red is better. Is there away I could make the light red , so I don't need to buy one?

This is the firsttime I've raised this many chicks, so the second light was actually a spare. I do actually have anothercone though, maybe if I can figure out what's wrong with it.

I just mowed perfect will they need grit for the clippings??

7. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Not safely with the heat produced,but red is the way to go. neutralizes the color of blood, keeps chicks calmer and for the most part stops the cannibalism. I know it sucks to replace your lights out but its whats best. you can offer chick grit by itself, i normally mix it in with their feed -J

Edit: Just used my IR temp gun, the glass of the 250w bulb read 400*F. Definitely is not safe to try to modify a heat bulb.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    I ink they were Judy a bit crowded and bored. I have been introducing a couple chicks per day with the guineas. So far they have been fine.

Now I can get back to finishing my incubator......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by