Chicks outgrowing 2x2...switch to a 2x4?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Life is Good!, May 13, 2011.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Our roost bars are 2x2 leftovers from a house project (unpainted pine). My 6wk old Java chicks still use them well - but I noticed our largest chick (a whopper of a pound and a half!) is having some trouble balancing her(?) heft of a self on this fairly narrow bar.

Time to switch to a 2x4? Our other chicks (mostly a pound to a bit over a pound) are doing just fine on the 2x2.

Can they stay on a 2x2 for long (like another month or two)? Java's are a heavy breed....so want what is best for all - but I have a broken foot, so trying to make due until the cast is off in 4weeks. (ugh.) Suggestions of what to do in the meantime are most welcome! (as I'm not supposed to be on it at all - but having to break that somewhat to care for self and family)

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    They should be fine for another month on a 2x2. They will be thrilled when you can get them on the 2x4 though.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I like a 2x4 or 4x4 or at least a 2x3. We have such harsh winters and having a wide roost allows them to cover their feet with their feathered bodies. I had no frostbite issues on their feet whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by